Old 03-06-2010, 12:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default replacement for Di-Syston?

In the past, I've used Di-Syston as a granular application to keep
pests from bothering shrubs and trees. However, I see that it is no
longer available.

I've got a tree with something that keeps "stinging" the branch tips,
laying eggs, and then borers or something seem to be eating the tree.
It is actually a peach tree, but there won't be any fruit on it until at
least next year, so it wouldn't be an issue using something systemic at
this point.

Can anyone recommend a granular systemic insecticide to use as a
replacement? I couldn't find anything at all like that when I browsed
the fair sized garden chemical section at Lowe's this morning.

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2010, 03:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

Ohioguy wrote:
In the past, I've used Di-Syston as a granular application to keep
pests from bothering shrubs and trees. However, I see that it is no
longer available.

I've got a tree with something that keeps "stinging" the branch tips,
laying eggs, and then borers or something seem to be eating the tree. It
is actually a peach tree, but there won't be any fruit on it until at
least next year, so it wouldn't be an issue using something systemic at
this point.

Can anyone recommend a granular systemic insecticide to use as a
replacement? I couldn't find anything at all like that when I browsed
the fair sized garden chemical section at Lowe's this morning.

Thanks!

Lindane. (it's a spray)

If you want granules, paradichlorobenzene crystals are supposed to
work, but it's applied in October, not late spring.

Bob
Old 03-06-2010, 05:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

zxcvbob wrote:
Ohioguy wrote:
In the past, I've used Di-Syston as a granular application to keep
pests from bothering shrubs and trees. However, I see that it is no
longer available.

I've got a tree with something that keeps "stinging" the branch
tips, laying eggs, and then borers or something seem to be eating the
tree. It is actually a peach tree, but there won't be any fruit on it
until at least next year, so it wouldn't be an issue using something
systemic at this point.

Can anyone recommend a granular systemic insecticide to use as a
replacement? I couldn't find anything at all like that when I browsed
the fair sized garden chemical section at Lowe's this morning.

Thanks!

Lindane. (it's a spray)

I was under the impression Lindane was no longer available to the home
gardener - correction welcome, though.

Tony M.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

Tony wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:
Ohioguy wrote:
[...]

You are right. Bonide still sells "Borer-Miner Killer" that used to
be 20% Lindane, but now they don't say what the active ingredient is.

A little searching turned up that it's Permethrin 2.5% (I haven't
verified this); not sure how effective that is. At least it's not
imidacloprid.

Bob
Old 04-06-2010, 02:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

verified this); not sure how effective that is. At least it's not
imidacloprid.

Why, what's wrong with that? The product I ended up buying, "Bayer
Systemic Rose & Flower Care", has that as the active ingredient. I
bought it because of the 8 different stores I visited while searching:

A) It was the only one that gave me 5 pounds for $10 or less (Target)

B) It was the least persistent - says "protects up to 8 weeks". The
other formulations and chemicals said 2 months, or up to 12 months for
1. I didn't want things hanging around that long.