Old 06-06-2010, 08:26 PM
Registered User

Default When can I pull up tulips?

I have some tulips in a half barrel that have finished flowering a couple of weeks back and I want to use the tub for something else.

The leaves are still green and show no signs of going dormant. If I pull the bulbs out now, will I still be able to keep them for next year?
Old 06-06-2010, 10:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
Una Una is offline

BigKev wrote:
I have some tulips in a half barrel that have finished flowering a
couple of weeks back and I want to use the tub for something else.

The leaves are still green and show no signs of going dormant. If I pull
the bulbs out now, will I still be able to keep them for next year?

If you put them in storage now they are likely to die and survivors
won't be in good condition to flower next year.

You can try gently transplanting them from the barrel to the ground,
where they can go dormant when they are ready. Cut off any maturing
fruits, just below the fruit. Water them until they start to go
dormant. After flowering they need to grow for a couple of months
to get ready for flowering next year.

Next year, try planting them in pots sunk in soil in the barrel.
Then you simply transplant the pot, with minimal disturbance to the
tulips.

Una

Old 07-06-2010, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

--
BigKev

No. Unsightly as they get, leave them alone until the leaves are
completely died down. Then lift the bulbs and store them - let them air
dry for a day or two first, of course. As long as the leaves are green,
they are gathering the strength that will make them bloom next year. If
you were to pull them now, you could bet they wouldn't blossom next year.

Tony M.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

BigKev wrote:

I have some tulips in a half barrel that have finished
flowering a
couple of weeks back and I want to use the tub for something
else.

The leaves are still green and show no signs of going dormant.
If I
pull the bulbs out now, will I still be able to keep them for
next
year?

literally pulling them might separate the leaves from the base
and
that will not be good for forming a new bulb for next year.
:-o

so if you have to remove them and can't tip the planter and
take
the whole clump, dig gently from an angle farther away and see if
you can scoup the whole thing out (supporting the stems with one
hand and the bulb clump/roots with the other).

then move the whole clump someplace else that it can be left
alone until the foliage dies back naturally. keep moist if
needed
until it starts yellowing and then stop watering. you can pull
the
foliage off or trim it once it yellows, but if you have no fungus
problems or other problems leave it alone until it dries
completely.

after that it's normal fall bulb care for them (depending upon
your area, goals, etc. this can be different ).

good luck,

songbird