GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   hi (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/192646-hi.html)

mrs nad 11-07-2010 07:27 PM

hi

just joined after trying to find out why my pear tree has black leaves
looks like i'll be taking a bag and scissors to the lotty
lookingforward to hearing from others
Mrs nad

Tony 12-07-2010 12:10 AM

hi

--
mrs nad

Hello and welcome.

Tony M.

EVP MAN 12-07-2010 03:37 AM

hi

My pear tree started getting black leaves last summer and it turned out
to be fire blight. I pruned the tree way back last fall in hope of
saving it. Sorry to say I lost the tree and in a few weeks will be
removing it. I planted the tree 15 years ago and never had a problem
until it was hit with fire blight last year. Hope this isn't the case
with your tree. Welcome to the group. I'm kind of new here myself and
have been learning quite a bit in this fine gardening group :)

Rich from PA Zone 5-6

brooklyn1 12-07-2010 02:28 PM

hi

(EVP MAN) wrote:

My pear tree started getting black leaves last summer and it turned out
to be fire blight. I pruned the tree way back last fall in hope of
saving it. Sorry to say I lost the tree and in a few weeks will be
removing it. I planted the tree 15 years ago and never had a problem
until it was hit with fire blight last year. Hope this isn't the case
with your tree. Welcome to the group. I'm kind of new here myself and
have been learning quite a bit in this fine gardening group :)

Rich from PA Zone 5-6

I'm sorry about your tree. I hope you disposed of all the wood
properly, every last twig and leaf, it's best to use a burn barrel.
All prunings from trees (especially fruit trees) and woody shrubs
should be burned, even if healthy. Too many leave plant prunings to
drop where they may, then are surprised when their plant becomes
diseased and dies... those pathogens live in the ground just waiting
for their next weakened victim. And always use clean pruning tools
and disinfect with every cut.

mrs nad 12-07-2010 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brooklyn1 (Post 893827)
(EVP MAN) wrote:

[...]

thanks to everyone who replied to my first message
I will collect the leaves from my tree tomorrow and bag and tag them
hoping that I can trim the tree at the right time (does anyone know when)and save it.
it has been a bad year form me even the beans are very poor, and as for the peas, lost not just 1 lot but several,

beecrofter[_2_] 13-07-2010 03:39 AM

hi

On Jul 11, 2:27*pm, mrs nad
wrote:
just joined after trying to find out why my pear tree has black leaves
looks like i'll be taking a bag and scissors to the lotty
lookingforward to hearing from others
Mrs nad

--
mrs nad

A common leaf spot disease which blackens pear foliage is Fabraea.

mrs nad 14-07-2010 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beecrofter[_2_] (Post 893907)
On Jul 11, 2:27*pm, mrs nad
wrote:
just joined after trying to find out why my pear tree has black leaves
looks like i'll be taking a bag and scissors to the lotty
lookingforward to hearing from others
Mrs nad

--
mrs nad

A common leaf spot disease which blackens pear foliage is Fabraea.

Many thanks, will get to grips with the tree at the weekend, now we have had the rain bet the weeds are knee high