GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bulbing onion question (in need of advice) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/192704-bulbing-onion-question-need-advice.html)

EVP MAN 14-07-2010 04:55 PM

Bulbing onion question (in need of advice)

This season I planted some Copra onions to let bulb and use as storage
onions this winter. Two days ago, a storm came through the area with
high winds. All the tops of my onions are laid over. They were about
two foot tall and still green. My question is: what should I do?
Should I just wait for the tops to turn brown and then dig them? Will
they continue to grow with their tops laid over like this? They have
started to bulb and some are pushed up out of the soil quite far
already. Any advice please.

Thank You......... Rich from PA

Tony 14-07-2010 05:50 PM

On 7/14/2010 11:55 AM, EVP MAN wrote:

This season I planted some Copra onions to let bulb and use as storage
onions this winter. Two days ago, a storm came through the area with
high winds. All the tops of my onions are laid over. They were about
two foot tall and still green. My question is: what should I do?
Should I just wait for the tops to turn brown and then dig them? Will
they continue to grow with their tops laid over like this? They have
started to bulb and some are pushed up out of the soil quite far
already. Any advice please.

Thank You......... Rich from PA

As long as the bent over tops are still green, I'd leave them be -
though you may want to put some mulch under the tops if that part of the
garden isn't mulched already. But other than that, I'd leave them be,
yes. They're probably hurt less than you think.

Tony M.

Bobo 15-07-2010 12:51 AM

Bulbing onion question (in need of advice)

Onions always fall over when they are bulbing, big storm or not. No
problem. I wouln't **** around tryijng to mulch underneath them
either.

Lucywu2012 15-07-2010 02:27 AM

I think you have to wait for other person to repira it!
You're not the professor for mending it!!

EVP MAN 15-07-2010 02:54 AM

Bulbing onion question (in need of advice) (Bobo)

There is no way I could mulch under them as it's just one big mass of
tops laid over. Now, do I just wait for the tops to turn brown before
I dig them? I planted the sets on April 15.

Rich from PA

Bobo 16-07-2010 12:31 AM

Bulbing onion question (in need of advice) (Bobo)

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 21:54:34 -0400, (EVP MAN)
wrote:

There is no way I could mulch under them as it's just one big mass of
tops laid over. Now, do I just wait for the tops to turn brown before
I dig them? I planted the sets on April 15.

Rich from PA

Yes, you want to pull them before the tops deteriorate much. If it's
real rainy do it sooner. If it's dry and you leave them in late..not
much harm done. I jplant Copra from seed and do real well. You might
try it next year. Prepare the ground in the fall and plant very early
in spring. If your soil is heavy cover the seed with compost or sand
so there's no crust to break thru.