Old 14-07-2010, 04:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Bulbing onion question (in need of advice)

This season I planted some Copra onions to let bulb and use as storage
onions this winter. Two days ago, a storm came through the area with
high winds. All the tops of my onions are laid over. They were about
two foot tall and still green. My question is: what should I do?
Should I just wait for the tops to turn brown and then dig them? Will
they continue to grow with their tops laid over like this? They have
started to bulb and some are pushed up out of the soil quite far
already. Any advice please.

Thank You......... Rich from PA

Old 14-07-2010, 05:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/14/2010 11:55 AM, EVP MAN wrote:

This season I planted some Copra onions to let bulb and use as storage
onions this winter. Two days ago, a storm came through the area with
high winds. All the tops of my onions are laid over. They were about
two foot tall and still green. My question is: what should I do?
Should I just wait for the tops to turn brown and then dig them? Will
they continue to grow with their tops laid over like this? They have
started to bulb and some are pushed up out of the soil quite far
already. Any advice please.

Thank You......... Rich from PA

As long as the bent over tops are still green, I'd leave them be -
though you may want to put some mulch under the tops if that part of the
garden isn't mulched already. But other than that, I'd leave them be,
yes. They're probably hurt less than you think.

Tony M.

Old 15-07-2010, 02:27 AM
Registered User

I think you have to wait for other person to repira it!
You're not the professor for mending it!!
Old 15-07-2010, 02:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Bulbing onion question (in need of advice) (Bobo)

There is no way I could mulch under them as it's just one big mass of
tops laid over. Now, do I just wait for the tops to turn brown before
I dig them? I planted the sets on April 15.

Rich from PA