GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Butterfly Bush (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/194460-butterfly-bush.html)

Chris[_14_] 15-11-2010 04:12 AM

Butterfly Bush

Should I prune my Butterfly Bush back to ground level now?

I accidentally mowed one tiny Butterfly Bush with my lawn and it
produced beautiful flowers.

I am tempted to cut them back to ground level now the weather is
getting cold.

Any advice?

Thanks

Chris

David E. Ross[_2_] 15-11-2010 07:12 AM

Butterfly Bush

On 11/14/10 8:12 PM, Chris wrote:
Should I prune my Butterfly Bush back to ground level now?

I accidentally mowed one tiny Butterfly Bush with my lawn and it
produced beautiful flowers.

I am tempted to cut them back to ground level now the weather is
getting cold.

Any advice?

Thanks

Chris

It depends on the species. Some -- including the orange butterfly bush
(Buddleja globosa), the fountain butterfly bush (B. alternifolia), and
the woolly butterfly bush (B. marrubiifolia) -- should be pruned
immediately after flowering. Others -- including the common butterfly
bush (B. davidii), also known as summer lilac -- should be pruned near
the end of winter.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Mathink 15-11-2010 12:28 PM

Well you said you accidentally "pruned" it once before, just do that again at the same time of year you did last time!