Old 15-11-2010, 04:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Butterfly Bush

Should I prune my Butterfly Bush back to ground level now?

I accidentally mowed one tiny Butterfly Bush with my lawn and it
produced beautiful flowers.

I am tempted to cut them back to ground level now the weather is
getting cold.

Any advice?

Thanks

Chris
Old 15-11-2010, 07:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/14/10 8:12 PM, Chris wrote:
Should I prune my Butterfly Bush back to ground level now?

I accidentally mowed one tiny Butterfly Bush with my lawn and it
produced beautiful flowers.

I am tempted to cut them back to ground level now the weather is
getting cold.

Any advice?

Thanks

Chris

It depends on the species. Some -- including the orange butterfly bush
(Buddleja globosa), the fountain butterfly bush (B. alternifolia), and
the woolly butterfly bush (B. marrubiifolia) -- should be pruned
immediately after flowering. Others -- including the common butterfly
bush (B. davidii), also known as summer lilac -- should be pruned near
the end of winter.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 15-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Registered User

Well you said you accidentally "pruned" it once before, just do that again at the same time of year you did last time!
Artificial Grass - This is now compulsory for me...

[IMG] code is On

Cantigny C Not-a-butterfly on the butterfly weed.JPG (1/1) Just Plane Noise Garden Photos 0 27-07-2009 06:35 PM
Butterfly bush (Buddleia) how prune? - My Dilemma Ian Gardening 10 23-05-2003 02:32 AM
Question about Butterfly Bush Dan Gardening 0 02-05-2003 04:32 AM
Butterfly Bush AnnaTle Gardening 5 26-04-2003 02:08 AM
Cut Back Healthy Butterfly Bush? Fleemo Gardening 4 05-04-2003 06:20 PM