GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   wild flowers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/195170-wild-flowers.html)

newnzee 08-01-2011 03:45 PM

wild flowers

I have quite a large garden which is bordered by hedges. I want to plant wild flowers around the border and would like to know how to prepare ground.

At present the area is grass. I propose to apply weedkiller and then rotavate the area. Would this be the best thing to do?

Many thanks.

Newnzee

Billy[_10_] 09-01-2011 12:52 AM

wild flowers

In article ,
newnzee wrote:

I have quite a large garden which is bordered by hedges. I want to
plant wild flowers around the border and would like to know how to
prepare ground.

At present the area is grass.
I propose to apply weedkiller and then rotavate the area.
Would this be the best thing to do?

No, that would be the worst thing you could do to the soil.

Cover grass with newspaper. Cover the newspaper with mulch.

How were you planing on planting your flowers? They could be broadcast
on the mulch after a couple of months, and followed up with a dusting of
compost.

Many thanks.

Newnzee

--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyE5wjc4XOw

Nad R 09-01-2011 12:58 AM

wild flowers

Billy wrote:
In article ,
newnzee wrote:

I have quite a large garden which is bordered by hedges. I want to
plant wild flowers around the border and would like to know how to
prepare ground.

At present the area is grass.
I propose to apply weedkiller and then rotavate the area.
Would this be the best thing to do?

No, that would be the worst thing you could do to the soil.

Cover grass with newspaper. Cover the newspaper with mulch.

How were you planing on planting your flowers? They could be broadcast
on the mulch after a couple of months, and followed up with a dusting of
compost.

Many thanks.

Newnzee

Could rent a tiller machine.

Billy[_10_] 09-01-2011 07:45 AM

wild flowers

In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
newnzee wrote:

I have quite a large garden which is bordered by hedges. I want to
plant wild flowers around the border and would like to know how to
prepare ground.

At present the area is grass.
I propose to apply weedkiller and then rotavate the area.
Would this be the best thing to do?

No, that would be the worst thing you could do to the soil.

Cover grass with newspaper. Cover the newspaper with mulch.

How were you planing on planting your flowers? They could be broadcast
on the mulch after a couple of months, and followed up with a dusting of
compost.

Many thanks.

Newnzee

Could rent a tiller machine.

What's wrong with you boy? You hit your head or sumthin'?

http://www.plantea.com/no-tilling.htm
http://www.examiner.com/organic-gard.../rototill-your
-garden-the-right-way