GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   my daffs dont flower (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/196055-my-daffs-dont-flower.html)

cookygirl43 22-03-2011 05:36 PM

my daffs dont flower

Can anyone tell me why my daffodils are not flowering...this is two years on the trot now they havn't flowered. Am I putting the bulbs in to deep? Help!

Owdboggy 22-03-2011 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookygirl43 (Post 915670)
Can anyone tell me why my daffodils are not flowering...this is two years on the trot now they havn't flowered. Am I putting the bulbs in to deep? Help!

There are various reasons why Daffs do not flower, the most common is planting them too shallow rather than too deep. Are you digging them up each year? That would probably prevent them flowering, if you do not let them die down naturally before moving them.

BobWalsh 22-03-2011 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookygirl43 (Post 915670)
Can anyone tell me why my daffodils are not flowering...this is two years on the trot now they havn't flowered. Am I putting the bulbs in to deep? Help!

I would add some bone meal to the soil to provide your daffodils with slow release Phosphorus. In addition, it's helpful to provide them with a fertilizer that is high in Potassium and Phosphorus as a soil drench. Don't cut back the foliage.
Bob

songbird[_2_] 23-03-2011 12:10 AM

my daffs dont flower

cookygirl43 wrote:

Can anyone tell me why my daffodils are not flowering...this is two
years on the trot now they havn't flowered. Am I putting the bulbs in to
deep? Help!

how much sun do they get each day?

do you cut the leaves off before they
turn yellow and dry out?

are they planted together really close?

are they overgrown with something else?

hard to plant too deep so i'd say that's
unlikely.

songbird