GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Blue Coating On Cantaloupe Seeds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/196183-blue-coating-cantaloupe-seeds.html)

EVP MAN 31-03-2011 01:23 AM

Blue Coating On Cantaloupe Seeds

Last Sunday I started my garden seeds indoors. When I opened the pack
of cantaloupe seeds, the first thing I noticed that they were a bright
blue in color. Today (Wed.) they have already germinated and are over
an inch tall. None of the other seeds (tomato and bell pepper) have
germinated as of yet. Best I can figure is that the bright blue coating
on the seeds had something to do with the rapid germination. Any ideas
as to what these seeds may have been coated with?

Rich from PA

Brooklyn1 31-03-2011 01:44 AM

(EVP MAN) wrote:

Last Sunday I started my garden seeds indoors. When I opened the pack
of cantaloupe seeds, the first thing I noticed that they were a bright
blue in color. Today (Wed.) they have already germinated and are over
an inch tall. None of the other seeds (tomato and bell pepper) have
germinated as of yet. Best I can figure is that the bright blue coating
on the seeds had something to do with the rapid germination. Any ideas
as to what these seeds may have been coated with?

Usually the seed packet will say that These seeds have been treated
against specific plant diseases, do NOT feed to wildlife.

http://www.harrisseeds.com/storefron...nfo_Seeds.aspx

Amos Nomore 31-03-2011 01:52 AM

Blue Coating On Cantaloupe Seeds

In article ,
(EVP MAN) wrote:

Last Sunday I started my garden seeds indoors. When I opened the pack
of cantaloupe seeds, the first thing I noticed that they were a bright
blue in color. Today (Wed.) they have already germinated and are over
an inch tall. None of the other seeds (tomato and bell pepper) have
germinated as of yet. Best I can figure is that the bright blue coating
on the seeds had something to do with the rapid germination. Any ideas
as to what these seeds may have been coated with?

Probably a copper compound used for its fungicidal properties. Cucurbit
seeds generally germinate quickly. Seeds of solanaceous plants tend to
be slow to germinate.

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 31-03-2011 04:07 AM

EVP MAN wrote:
Last Sunday I started my garden seeds indoors. When I opened the pack
of cantaloupe seeds, the first thing I noticed that they were a
bright blue in color. Today (Wed.) they have already germinated and
are over an inch tall. None of the other seeds (tomato and bell
pepper) have germinated as of yet. Best I can figure is that the
bright blue coating on the seeds had something to do with the rapid
germination. Any ideas as to what these seeds may have been coated
with?

Rich from PA

Most likely an antifungal compound applied by the seed merchant which has
nothing to do with germination.

David