Old 31-03-2011, 01:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Blue Coating On Cantaloupe Seeds

Last Sunday I started my garden seeds indoors. When I opened the pack
of cantaloupe seeds, the first thing I noticed that they were a bright
blue in color. Today (Wed.) they have already germinated and are over
an inch tall. None of the other seeds (tomato and bell pepper) have
germinated as of yet. Best I can figure is that the bright blue coating
on the seeds had something to do with the rapid germination. Any ideas
as to what these seeds may have been coated with?

Rich from PA

Old 31-03-2011, 04:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

EVP MAN wrote:
Last Sunday I started my garden seeds indoors. When I opened the pack
of cantaloupe seeds, the first thing I noticed that they were a
bright blue in color. Today (Wed.) they have already germinated and
are over an inch tall. None of the other seeds (tomato and bell
pepper) have germinated as of yet. Best I can figure is that the
bright blue coating on the seeds had something to do with the rapid
germination. Any ideas as to what these seeds may have been coated
with?

Rich from PA

Most likely an antifungal compound applied by the seed merchant which has
nothing to do with germination.

David