Old 01-04-2011, 03:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default First Acid Rain.....Now Iodine Rain

A few years back acid rain was in the news. Now we have iodine rain!
They tested rain water here in Pennsylvania and found the iodine level
1300 times higher than federal standards. The nuke disaster in Japan
will indeed have an effect on the USA. Still they say: don't worry, all
will be well. I'll tell you one thing, if my tomatoes start to glow in
the dark this season, I don't think I'll be eating too many BLT's.

Rich from PA

Old 01-04-2011, 06:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 31, 10:51*pm, (EVP MAN) wrote:
A few years back acid rain was in the news. *Now we have iodine rain!
They tested rain water here in Pennsylvania and found the iodine level
1300 times higher than federal standards. *The nuke disaster in Japan
will indeed have an effect on the USA. *Still they say: don't worry, all
will be well. *I'll tell you one thing, *if my tomatoes start to glow in
the dark this season, *I don't think I'll be eating too many BLT's. *

Rich from PA

I used to hunt deer near a Superfund site.
Told folks the deer were easier to spot since they glowed.
But, seriously as a retired chemist, I'm suspicious about all these
frightening analyses coming out.
If they are not being done routinely and are new spot analyses, they
could be way off.
Let's hear from our analytical chemist.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Frank wrote:

On Mar 31, 10:51*pm, (EVP MAN) wrote:
A few years back acid rain was in the news. *Now we have iodine rain!
They tested rain water here in Pennsylvania and found the iodine level
1300 times higher than federal standards. *The nuke disaster in Japan
will indeed have an effect on the USA. *Still they say: don't worry, all
will be well. *I'll tell you one thing, *if my tomatoes start to glow in
the dark this season, *I don't think I'll be eating too many BLT's. *

Rich from PA

I used to hunt deer near a Superfund site.
Told folks the deer were easier to spot since they glowed.
But, seriously as a retired chemist, I'm suspicious about all these
frightening analyses coming out.
If they are not being done routinely and are new spot analyses, they
could be way off.
Let's hear from our analytical chemist.

Rich, do you have a citation for your iodine levels?

PSAs here are mostly hand holding with little information getting
through.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20110331/WIRE/110339908

Low levels of radiation found in West Coast milk

By MARY CLARE JALONICK
ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: Thursday, March 31, 2011 at 10:05 a.m.

WASHINGTON - Low levels of radiation have turned up in milk samples from
two West Coast states.

Traces of radioactive Iodine-131 were found in milk in California and
Washington, according to federal and state authorities who are
monitoring for contamination as the nuclear crisis unfolds in Japan. But
the officials say the levels are still 5,000 times below levels of
concern and do not represent a public health threat.

The Environmental Protection Agency and the Food and Drug Administration
said Wednesday that radiation was found in a March 25 milk sample from
Spokane, Wash. The California Department of Public Health said on its
website that a similar result was found March 28 in San Luis Obispo
County.

(cont.)
----
http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/Docu...ort-2011-03-30.
PDF

At least they haven't told us to duct tape yet. )
--
- Billy
Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
In article
,
Frank wrote:

[...]

Even in Michigan, very small minute amounts radioactive materials from
Japan have also been detected in the air. In the back of my mind, if trace
amounts can be detected half way around the world, Japan must be in really
bad shape.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

Nad R writes:

Even in Michigan, very small minute amounts radioactive materials from
Japan have also been detected in the air. In the back of my mind, if trace
amounts can be detected half way around the world, Japan must be in really
bad shape.

Well Japan is having it's problems, but the ability to detect very small
amounts of substances has improved immensely.

Somehow I lived through open air A-bomb and H-bomb testing.
I suppose I'll live through this too.

They say it's less of a worry, the older you are.
Small solace, I was young during the open air testing.