GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Strawberry Tree (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/196231-strawberry-tree.html)

beeble 03-04-2011 07:16 PM

Strawberry Tree

Hi, this is my first time, so hopefully I will get this right.
I have a Strawberry Tree which is growing quite tall & I want to cut it down a little. When is the best time to do this??

lannerman 03-04-2011 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beeble (Post 916842)
Hi, this is my first time, so hopefully I will get this right.
I have a Strawberry Tree which is growing quite tall & I want to cut it down a little. When is the best time to do this??

Hi Beeble, If it is a 'strawberry tree' (Arbutus unedo) then now would be a very good time, infact, now would be a good time even if it isnt !! I would suggest that you also trim the subsequent growth early August, you will lose the flowers for this year possibly but it will make this plant very bushy.
best wishes, Lannerman.

echinosum 04-04-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lannerman (Post 916846)
Hi Beeble, If it is a 'strawberry tree' (Arbutus unedo) then now would be a very good time, infact, now would be a good time even if it isnt !! I would suggest that you also trim the subsequent growth early August, you will lose the flowers for this year possibly but it will make this plant very bushy.
best wishes, Lannerman.

I think on the whole ericaceous evergreens are best pruned at a time of year when there is low risk of frost, so I would leave it a few weeks yet, as we can still have a hard frost (as we experienced the middle of May last year). But, from experience of owning one, you can prune it very hard any time from May to September and they grow back well.

beeble 04-04-2011 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lannerman (Post 916846)
Hi Beeble, If it is a 'strawberry tree' (Arbutus unedo) then now would be a very good time, infact, now would be a good time even if it isnt !! I would suggest that you also trim the subsequent growth early August, you will lose the flowers for this year possibly but it will make this plant very bushy.
best wishes, Lannerman.

========================
The 'Strawberry Tree' [i] have does not have flowers but has small red berries just like tiny strawberries (not to be eaten), but thank you for your reply

beeble 04-04-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echinosum (Post 916909)
I think on the whole ericaceous evergreens are best pruned at a time of year when there is low risk of frost, so I would leave it a few weeks yet, as we can still have a hard frost (as we experienced the middle of May last year). But, from experience of owning one, you can prune it very hard any time from May to September and they grow back well.

=================

Thank you for your reply, I may well take your advice, because I can see some small berries growing, so I may have to wait until about June until they have gone. Thanks again

echinosum 05-04-2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beeble (Post 916950)
Thank you for your reply, I may well take your advice, because I can see some small berries growing, so I may have to wait until about June until they have gone. Thanks again

The berries on Arbutus unedo mature in the autumn. The flowers also occur in the autumn. Sometimes they can both be there at the same time. Arbutus berries can be eaten when ripe, but most people don't find them tasty enough to bother. It is more or less impossible to prune the tree without removing some flower buds/flowers/berries, as there is always at least one of these on the tree. Though I won't have any berries on mine this year as they were all killed by frost over the winter.

There are other kinds of Arbutus commonly grown, such as Arbutus x menziesii which have somewhat different timing.

echinosum 05-04-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echinosum (Post 916999)
such as Arbutus x menziesii which have somewhat different timing.

I meant Arbutus x andrachnoides.