Old 03-04-2011, 07:16 PM
Registered User

Default Strawberry Tree

Hi, this is my first time, so hopefully I will get this right.
I have a Strawberry Tree which is growing quite tall & I want to cut it down a little. When is the best time to do this??
Old 03-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeble View Post
Hi, this is my first time, so hopefully I will get this right.
I have a Strawberry Tree which is growing quite tall & I want to cut it down a little. When is the best time to do this??
Hi Beeble, If it is a 'strawberry tree' (Arbutus unedo) then now would be a very good time, infact, now would be a good time even if it isnt !! I would suggest that you also trim the subsequent growth early August, you will lose the flowers for this year possibly but it will make this plant very bushy.
best wishes, Lannerman.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:35 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
Hi Beeble, If it is a 'strawberry tree' (Arbutus unedo) then now would be a very good time, infact, now would be a good time even if it isnt !! I would suggest that you also trim the subsequent growth early August, you will lose the flowers for this year possibly but it will make this plant very bushy.
best wishes, Lannerman.
I think on the whole ericaceous evergreens are best pruned at a time of year when there is low risk of frost, so I would leave it a few weeks yet, as we can still have a hard frost (as we experienced the middle of May last year). But, from experience of owning one, you can prune it very hard any time from May to September and they grow back well.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:19 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
Hi Beeble, If it is a 'strawberry tree' (Arbutus unedo) then now would be a very good time, infact, now would be a good time even if it isnt !! I would suggest that you also trim the subsequent growth early August, you will lose the flowers for this year possibly but it will make this plant very bushy.
best wishes, Lannerman.
========================
The 'Strawberry Tree' [i] have does not have flowers but has small red berries just like tiny strawberries (not to be eaten), but thank you for your reply
Old 04-04-2011, 08:21 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
I think on the whole ericaceous evergreens are best pruned at a time of year when there is low risk of frost, so I would leave it a few weeks yet, as we can still have a hard frost (as we experienced the middle of May last year). But, from experience of owning one, you can prune it very hard any time from May to September and they grow back well.
=================

Thank you for your reply, I may well take your advice, because I can see some small berries growing, so I may have to wait until about June until they have gone. Thanks again

Old 05-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeble View Post
Thank you for your reply, I may well take your advice, because I can see some small berries growing, so I may have to wait until about June until they have gone. Thanks again
The berries on Arbutus unedo mature in the autumn. The flowers also occur in the autumn. Sometimes they can both be there at the same time. Arbutus berries can be eaten when ripe, but most people don't find them tasty enough to bother. It is more or less impossible to prune the tree without removing some flower buds/flowers/berries, as there is always at least one of these on the tree. Though I won't have any berries on mine this year as they were all killed by frost over the winter.

There are other kinds of Arbutus commonly grown, such as Arbutus x menziesii which have somewhat different timing.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:36 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
such as Arbutus x menziesii which have somewhat different timing.
I meant Arbutus x andrachnoides.

[IMG] code is On

Arbutus unedo (Strawberry tree) rbel[_2_] United Kingdom 23 12-04-2013 01:55 PM
Plant 'fruit' tree wife's birthday (where to get Strawberry Tree?) Jim Daschowsky Edible Gardening 15 21-04-2012 10:00 PM
Strawberry Tree Pat Chatburn Gardening 5 08-07-2011 01:58 AM
Strawberry tree site: http://strawberrytrees.co.uk/ Tim Tyler United Kingdom 3 31-08-2007 09:49 PM
50 strawberry plants! Polar Edible Gardening 7 09-02-2003 05:27 PM