Old 28-04-2011, 11:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Solid clay garden am I doing the right thing?

Nad R wrote:
I mentioned it would be hard during dry spells. However it will still look
just as nice as any other lawn. I will also agree the gravel is a waste of
money unless your are putting in a path, then put down a "Road Tarp",
heavier than landscaping tarp, then put down the gravel or road mix
(concrete mixed with gravel) on top. The gravel on top of clay will just
sink into the ground.

When it comes to soil improvement, the old saying is true. Their are three
aspects to improving soil, "Quickly", "Low Cost" and "Quality" Choose any
two items. The method I choose was Low Cost and Quickly, Quality of the
soil will not be the best in the short term. I think that is how the
phrase goes

Also you mentioned "low area" for water to soak in. Clay does not soak in.
It will stay there until it evaporates. You will only form a small stagnant
pond for mosquitoes.

i have several catch basins/seeps here in solid
clay and they work just fine. not speedy, but they
eventually dry up. with mosquito control pumping
tons of poisons into the air all around us we don't
see too many mosquitoes. i make places for frogs
and toads around and the birds come through swooping
around to catch them when they are out.

As for your broken collar bone. One should never put their arms out to try
and stop the fall, the result will be a broken collar bone on any kind of
surface except water perhaps. One should tuck the arms in and turn the body
to the side and hit the ground with the shoulder and roll onto the surface.
Karate lessons would have taught you this ... Or even football.

i had several years of karate as a child
and tai chi as an adult. neither of those
will avert determined klutzoid antics. i was
diving for a softball and knew i was going to
hit the ground. i twisted in midair to land
on my back but didn't quite make it and landed
on the point of my shoulder.

for tumbling skills i would recommend
aikido or jujitsu/judo over karate any
time. or even simple gymnastics...

when i was going through my chinese martial
arts phase i wanted to get into baqua and
another style called drunken sailor, but my
sense of balance is very sensitive and i
ended up barfing. i could do some tai chi
and chi kung moves that had spins in them
because most of the practice was slow enough
that it didn't bother me. if i stepped up
the speed (as would happen in an actual fight
or demonstration) i would get rather green
around the gills.

the skills from tai chi, chi kung, and
karate have helped me at times when i've
slipped on ice or had a conflict (a good
life is one that doesn't involve fighting
so i've been pretty lucky over the years
in that i've only had a few fights).
philosophically tai chi and chi kung was
much better for me.

as a test of my skills i have a nephew
that liked to try things on me. once he
came after me, i deflected him, turned him
around and tied him up like a pretzel
within a second. pure reflex. the logical
extension of the movement i used would have
been to twist his neck (breaking) but of
course i stopped when i had him pinned. he
wanted me to show him how i did it. i said
"three years of practice we can start any
time". no action on his part since then,
and he leaves me alone. this was after
not practicing for many years.

i now practice no martial art at all
other than kung fu weeding and the once
in a while plink at the grackles,
chipmunks and rabbits.

They can build a small sand box area for the kids swing set. Or better yet
a DoJo in the basement

i think they should take up basket weaving
with rose stems. builds hand-eye coordination,
judgement and character...

songbird