Old 02-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Registered User

Default Springtails - help!

Hi

I am a very novice gardener and I am growing chilli plants for the first time. I have 6 little plants, and they have been doing really well on the windowsill in my kitchen. When watering them a few days ago we noticed some bugs in the soil. After lots of googling, we think they are springtails. I have read that they won't harm the plants, my problem is that I don't really want them in my kitchen! I have left the chillis outside since, but the problem is that we have a very open plan front garden (and no back garden) and I'd rather not leave them where other people's pets can get at them (as they have the rest of my garden!). Can anyone tell me how to get rid of them? Obviously as we will be eating the chillis anything without harmful chemicals would be best.

Many thanks in advance

Becky
Old 02-05-2011, 05:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 2 May 2011 14:03:03 +0000, Beckym
wrote:

Hi

I am a very novice gardener and I am growing chilli plants for the first
time. I have 6 little plants, and they have been doing really well on
the windowsill in my kitchen. When watering them a few days ago we
noticed some bugs in the soil. After lots of googling, we think they are
springtails. I have read that they won't harm the plants, my problem is
that I don't really want them in my kitchen! I have left the chillis
outside since, but the problem is that we have a very open plan front
garden (and no back garden) and I'd rather not leave them where other
people's pets can get at them (as they have the rest of my garden!). Can
anyone tell me how to get rid of them? Obviously as we will be eating
the chillis anything without harmful chemicals would be best.

Mist the plant and soil with a mild solution of Murphy's Oil Soap and
water; 1 Tbls : 1 Qt.

[IMG] code is On

springtails... eww! umonkeyz United Kingdom 3 16-09-2005 07:04 PM
HELP HELP HELP Lynne Orchids 6 07-05-2004 01:03 AM
help with high light/high co2 tank out of balance = greenwater :( help J. H. Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 08-04-2003 04:44 PM
[IBC] IBCers You can help the list (was: [IBC] Please help me :-))) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 23-03-2003 12:44 AM
help! Please help find out what kind of plants I have :) Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-02-2003 05:09 AM