Old 16-05-2011, 11:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Weather in NY

A week of temps in the 50s. Rain off and on, and fog most of the time.
My peas, lettuce, and broccoli are loving life out there, but my poor
cuke, tomato, pepper, eggplant, and such seedlings are whining at me
from the window, "We want sun! We want sun!"

Sigh.

You can please some of the garden some of the time, the rest of the
garden some other time, but give up on pleasing all of the garden all
of the time...

Chris
Old 17-05-2011, 12:05 AM posted to rec.gardens
mj mj is offline

On May 16, 6:51*pm, Chris wrote:
A week of temps in the 50s. Rain off and on, and fog most of the time.
My peas, lettuce, and broccoli are loving life out there, but my poor
cuke, tomato, pepper, eggplant, and such seedlings are whining at me
from the window, "We want sun! We want sun!"

Sigh.

You can please some of the garden some of the time, the rest of the
garden some other time, but give up on pleasing all of the garden all
of the time...

Chri

Have a Jimmy Dean breakfast product and maybe Mother Nature will start
to cooperate
I don't know where you are in New York but I spent most of my in the
Binghamton area so I remember your pain. Hang in there, June will be
there before you know it.
MJ
Old 17-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Drobium's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Bedworth ,Warwickshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris[_14_] View Post
A week of temps in the 50s. Rain off and on, and fog most of the time.
My peas, lettuce, and broccoli are loving life out there, but my poor
cuke, tomato, pepper, eggplant, and such seedlings are whining at me
from the window, "We want sun! We want sun!"

Sigh.

You can please some of the garden some of the time, the rest of the
garden some other time, but give up on pleasing all of the garden all
of the time...

Chris
Lol! I know what you mean.

Here in the U.K. we have had the coldest winter for 50 years, followed by the warmest april for 350 years, AND the worst drought in over thirty years.

This has lead to alot of plants dying of stress over the last couple of months and the majority of the garden being over a month ahead, with tonnes of stuff blooming and going over even before the summer is here!

It's going to be interesting to see what happens in june, whether we are gonna get a dull period where no alot is flowering like you tend to in late july or early august?
__________________
Yay! it's spring!
Old 17-05-2011, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/16/11 3:51 PM, Chris wrote:
A week of temps in the 50s. Rain off and on, and fog most of the time.
My peas, lettuce, and broccoli are loving life out there, but my poor
cuke, tomato, pepper, eggplant, and such seedlings are whining at me
from the window, "We want sun! We want sun!"

Sigh.

You can please some of the garden some of the time, the rest of the
garden some other time, but give up on pleasing all of the garden all
of the time...

Chris

I spent some time researching past weather records for where I live,
including developing four different spreadsheets. I used the results to
create a Web page about my climate; see
http://www.rossde.com/garden/climate.html. Now I'm beginning to
believe there is no such thing as "typical weather".

While generally 75% or more of our rainfall occurs from the beginning of
December through the end of February, it's raining right now. Since the
beginning of May, we have had 0.20 inch. Many years we get NO rain from
the end of April through October.

May is supposed to be a mild month with an average low temperature of
53°. Last night's low was 44; the night before, it tied a five-year low
of 42.

Between the rain and low temperatures, local mountains are expecting
snow today. That even had the TV weather personalities surprised.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 18-05-2011, 11:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 16, 7:05*pm, mj wrote:
On May 16, 6:51*pm, Chris wrote:

A week of temps in the 50s. Rain off and on, and fog most of the time.
My peas, lettuce, and broccoli are loving life out there, but my poor
cuke, tomato, pepper, eggplant, and such seedlings are whining at me
from the window, "We want sun! We want sun!"

Sigh.

You can please some of the garden some of the time, the rest of the
garden some other time, but give up on pleasing all of the garden all
of the time...

Chri

Have a Jimmy Dean breakfast product and maybe Mother Nature will start
to cooperate
I don't know where you are in New York but I spent most of my in the
Binghamton area so I remember your pain. Hang in there, June will be
there before you know it.
MJ

I'm in Rockaway- New York City.

And I swear some of those lettuce plants have doubled in size in the
last 3 days.

Chris

Old 21-05-2011, 02:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 20 May 2011 19:36:50 -0400, PhoenixWench
wrote:

On 5/18/2011 6:05 PM, Chris wrote:
On May 16, 7:05 pm, wrote:
On May 16, 6:51 pm, wrote:

[...]

Hi - I'm in the NY Catskills, and haven't seen more than a few fleeting
minutes of sun in so long my joke is that I don't need to wear eyeshadow
- the green mildew is doing the job :-(

I'm glad I didn't waste money and time starting seeds or buying plants
yet - the ground is so consistently soggy the only thing growing is
weeds and fungi :-P

Oh well, we had a wet Spring a couple years ago that abruptly turned
into premature August, so next week I plan to take my wallet and heart
in hand and get some starts - tomatoes, peppers and petunias mostly, and
hope for the best.

The weather map right now looks more like a Nor' Easter than a "normal"
Spring pattern, but that can change - and usually does, so I keep hoping ;-)

The northern catskills are saturated and we had colossal thunderstorms
today. I mowed once last week but it's already grown a foot and now
the ground is much too soft. I have my veggie seeds planted in peat
pots and they are doing well but are indoors... it'll probably be at
least two weeks before the ground dries enough to work, if this rain
ever stops. I even bought some of those plastic sawhorses and half
sheets of plywood so I could put my seedlings out in the sun during
the day so the bunnies can't get them, but there's no sun and they'd
just wash away. At least I don't need to water my new trees. The
geese and ducks are loving it... they are such teases with how they
stand there in the blinding torrent posing like it's a body wash
commercial... I love how the Canada geese stand tall, flex their
wings, and flaunt their huge breasts.
Old 21-05-2011, 04:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 16, 7:05 pm, wrote:
On May 16, 6:51 pm, wrote:

[...]

Same here in Michigan. Also with all this rain... The mosquitoes are huge
and becoming numerous....

Old 21-05-2011, 06:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 16, 7:05 pm, *wrote:
On May 16, 6:51 pm, *wrote:

[...]

This sounds like the kind of situation that calls for raised beds,
where you can better control the composition of the soil as well as
its moisture content.

HB

[...]
Old 21-05-2011, 07:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 16, 7:05 pm, wrote:
On May 16, 6:51 pm, wrote:

[...]

;-)

[...]

I thought the state bird of Michigan was the mosquito.

The best defense against Michigan mosquitos is a crucifix, a large
crucifix, and you have to hit them with it hard ;O)
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://theuptake.org/2011/03/05/michael-moore-the-big-lie-wisconsin-is-broke/