Old 02-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Registered User

Default Compost

I'm new to gardenig and have a question about compost that I've been using for containers.
I bought it at the end of last summer and it's been stored in my shed but thanks to a leak it's got really wet - kind of a mud consistancy.
Can I still use it?? I want to pot up some herbs and also some bluberry plants.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:06 AM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilymacs View Post
I'm new to gardenig and have a question about compost that I've been using for containers.
I bought it at the end of last summer and it's been stored in my shed but thanks to a leak it's got really wet - kind of a mud consistancy.
Can I still use it?? I want to pot up some herbs and also some bluberry plants.
Hi Lilymacs, it should be ok for herbs and the blueberries will enjoy its acidity ?
I would be inclined to spread it out in the sun and dry it out a bit, maybe adding some fresh to it and then riddling it to remove any hard lumps. If you think its looking too bad to use, mix some peat with it and use it in the bottom of the containers, with some fresh compost on top !
Lannerman

Old 03-06-2011, 02:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 2, 8:16*pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
lilymacs wrote:
I'm new to gardenig and have a question about compost that I've been
using for containers.
I bought it at the end of last summer and it's been stored in my shed
but thanks to a leak it's got really wet - kind of a mud consistancy.
Can I still use it?? I want to pot up some herbs and also some
bluberry plants.

yes
hris

If you can let it dry out, it will work better. Working wet soil or
compost ruins the structure. Compost is great no matter what*, but it
will work better if it is dry.

Chris

*Most of what you buy is at least 30% non-compost, like peat moss.
Look at the labels.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

Muck does not make a good potting soil by itself. You need to add
something coarse so that air and water can move through the media.
Maybe as much as 1/3 pearlite or bark mulch mixed in would do the
trick.