GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What Plant is this and can i cut it back (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/197953-what-plant-can-i-cut-back.html)

hiphopnrap 04-06-2011 02:41 AM

What Plant is this and can i cut it back

3 Attachment(s)
hi
im new to the forum,and i have decided to post a question regarding a plant that is in my garden,can anyone tell me
A..what plant/bush it is
B..can i cut it back/will it grow back

if there is anyone out there with the same bush/plant i would be happy for the information,and what to do about it,it flowers pink and white,but this year has flowered very early due to the hot april/may we have had

dave

FarmI 04-06-2011 05:41 AM

"hiphopnrap" wrote in message

hi
im new to the forum,and i have decided to post a question regarding a
plant that is in my garden,can anyone tell me
A..what plant/bush it is

Variegated Weigela

B..can i cut it back/will it grow back

Yes you can/yes it will.

hiphopnrap 04-06-2011 12:27 PM

thank you so much,i live in the uk,and no one could give me an answer,you was spot on,can you tell me how much i can cut it back,sort of new to doing things like this and i dont want to kill it,how much will it grow in ayear,will it take awhile to get back to full height,

[email protected] 04-06-2011 05:21 PM

hiphopnrap writes:

FarmI;925533 Wrote:
...-

-
B..can i cut it back/will it grow back-

Yes you can/yes it will.

thank you so much,i live in the uk,and no one could give me an
answer,you was spot on,can you tell me how much i can cut it back,sort
of new to doing things like this and i dont want to kill it,how much
will it grow in ayear,will it take awhile to get back to full height,

I've cut mine right to 4 inches above the ground. It still comes right
back. Think about what you are trying to accomplish. Do you want it
slightly smaller, or a lot smaller.

Normal pruning is to remove old growth and crossing branches.

They send out new growth that reaches about a meter in a year.

--
Dan Espen

lannerman 04-06-2011 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiphopnrap (Post 925503)
hi
im new to the forum,and i have decided to post a question regarding a plant that is in my garden,can anyone tell me
A..what plant/bush it is
B..can i cut it back/will it grow back

if there is anyone out there with the same bush/plant i would be happy for the information,and what to do about it,it flowers pink and white,but this year has flowered very early due to the hot april/may we have had

dave

Hi Dave, its a shrub called Weigela florida variegata, its very hardy and can be pruned after flowering and then current seasons growth may be trimmed again in August.
Lannerman

FarmI 05-06-2011 07:55 AM

FarmI;925533 Wrote:
"hiphopnrap" wrote in message
...-

hi
im new to the forum,and i have decided to post a question regarding a
plant that is in my garden,can anyone tell me
A..what plant/bush it is-

Variegated Weigela
-
B..can i cut it back/will it grow back-

Yes you can/yes it will.

thank you so much,i live in the uk,and no one could give me an
answer,you was spot on,can you tell me how much i can cut it back,sort
of new to doing things like this and i dont want to kill it,how much
will it grow in ayear,will it take awhile to get back to full height,

I'm in Australia so not at all familiar with the UK's pruning habits, but
I'd say that if you cut it back by about a third, you should be safe.
Plants tend to put on really leggy succulent growth if cut back too hard and
you might not want that sort of look. Generally, the time to prune shrubs
is after they have flowered.