Old 16-06-2011, 09:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Asparagus

Over the past 25 or so years seeds from my Asparagus patch have
blown over to various spots where conditions were right for them
to germinate. Only one place has survived due to harsh conditions
such as we have here in the desert. For places where enough rain
falls and conditions are better than here, Asparagus should be in
everyones garden. It's easy to grow. It can spread under favorable
conditions. There have been times in past years when I've neglected
it and it still thrived. It's cheap to purchase and comes in root
crowns that are already several years old, so just plant and water.
They don't seem to be able to get to much water, and once established
can be drought resistant. This year I've put rock salt around the
Asparagus to keep weeds and grass down and it seems to be working.

Still no rain yet and the temp is only 104 F today. The water well
is running overtime. I relocated a little Hog nose snake down to the
marsh earlier. Box turtles are staying close to the water. Bees are
swarming the stock tank for water.

The watermelons are starting to blossom.

Desert West Texas

--
All my life I've said, "Someday I'm going to leave this area",
but I'm still here.

Old 17-06-2011, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

Mysterious Traveler wrote:
[...]

I support growing your own asparagus. Fresh asparagus is so much better
than canned and really fresh is so much better than supermarket "fresh".

David

Old 17-06-2011, 03:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/16/11 1:15 PM, Mysterious Traveler wrote:
[...]

I had asparagus growing in the same bed for about 30 years. Then early
in 2005, we had record-breaking rains. The asparagus rotted in the
ground.

In the spring, I noticed asapagus seedlings coming up. By this year, I
hoped to harvest some for my wife and me. Yep, the rainfall this past
winter was exceeded in recent years only by the rainfall in 2005.

Now I again see seedlings.

But we did indeed have artichokes from the back yard this year.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 18-06-2011, 08:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 06/16/2011 09:26 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
[...]

Rainfall??? Oh yeah, I remember hearing about that phenomenon.

Old 19-06-2011, 01:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

After reading about artichokes on Wikipedia, I'm not sure
they will grow in our climate, even the Northern Star variety
which is supposed to be able to withstand cold better. Soil
conditions here are probably to dry, I'm guessing. How much
soil moisture do you usually have? How much do you usually
water them? I've got enough to water now that with something
that needs abundant water or care might perish. The sun is so
intense here even plants that get enough water don't always
survive.

Old 19-06-2011, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/19/11 5:51 AM, Mysterious Traveler wrote:
[...]

I run my garden sprinklers once every three days, for about 10 minutes
per valve. The 10 minutes is actually broken into two 5-minutes
sessions to allow the water to penetrate the soil and not run off. In
another month, I'll probably be doing 15 minutes per valve in three
5-minute sessions.

Yes, artichokes prefer a cool summer. Despite all the water and the
fact that it's in part shade, mine goes dormant in July or August, dying
down to the ground. It then resprouts in October, remaining in leaf
through the winter. Buds -- the part you eat -- appear in early spring.

Old 19-06-2011, 05:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Mysterious Traveler wrote:

[...]

According to "Vegetable Gardener' Bible" by Edward C. Smith.
http://www.amazon.com/Vegetable-Gard...-Gardening/dp/
1580172121/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206815454&sr=1-1
(Available at a library near you)
artichokes can be grown in zones 8-11.
Below 33F you probably should cover plants (cardboard box, poly tunnel,
ect.), although they should be able to withstand temps down to 14F. In
the desert, mulch (to retain water and feed the soil), and shrubs to
small trees to give some mottled sunlight during the heat of the day.

See:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWFh6jWAEB0

http://www.phoenixtropicals.com/vegetables.html
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/
Old 19-06-2011, 06:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Mysterious Traveler wrote:

[...]

If your USDA zone is 6 - 7, you may have to grow artichokes as annuals.
To get artichoke buds the first year, gardeners in cooler climates must
start with seeds and grow artichokes as annuals. The key is to trick the
artichoke into behaving as if it has already made it through its first
winter by exposing the young plants to a period of cool temperatures.
That subterfuge is called vernalization. Start seedlings indoors 12
weeks before the last frost. Place the seedlings in a cold frame about 6
weeks before the last frost (the temperature should remain below 50
during these 6 weeks, so open the lid of the cold frame as needed to
keep the temperature cool).