Old 26-07-2011, 12:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Front Yard weed control

I have a house in Atlanta, 7b Piedmont, with a weedy sparse front
yard. It's all low growing and the weeds pop up tall shoots. Poor soil
with some pine straw. It's slanty ground with a big pine and a dogwood.
Kudzu is thriving next door and headed my way.

So, I've been popping the weeds out, they are hardly nothing but some
broad stubby leaves laying against the ground and the aforementioned
flower stalk. I can see this may not be working!

Suggestions?

Jeff
Old 26-07-2011, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , j wrote:

I have a house in Atlanta, 7b Piedmont, with a weedy sparse front
yard. It's all low growing and the weeds pop up tall shoots. Poor soil
with some pine straw. It's slanty ground with a big pine and a dogwood.
Kudzu is thriving next door and headed my way.

So, I've been popping the weeds out, they are hardly nothing but some
broad stubby leaves laying against the ground and the aforementioned
flower stalk. I can see this may not be working!

Suggestions?

Jeff

Run.
--
- Billy
Obama is now backing a bipartisan Senate budget plan that would cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy. In addition to entitlement cuts, the so-called "Gang of Six" plan would eliminate a number of popular tax breaks and deductions, including write-offs for home mortgage interest and employer-provided health benefits. The savings would help offset the cost of then lowering the top individual and corporate tax rates from 35 percent to at least 29 percent.

America is not broke.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/

You put Lloyd Blankfein in pound-me-in-the-ass prison for one six-month term, and all this bullshit would stop, all over Wall Street. That's all it would take. Just once.
Vote 3rd Party
Old 26-07-2011, 02:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

j writes:

I have a house in Atlanta, 7b Piedmont, with a weedy sparse front
yard. It's all low growing and the weeds pop up tall shoots. Poor soil
with some pine straw. It's slanty ground with a big pine and a
dogwood. Kudzu is thriving next door and headed my way.

So, I've been popping the weeds out, they are hardly nothing but
some broad stubby leaves laying against the ground and the
aforementioned flower stalk. I can see this may not be working!

Suggestions?

What do you want to do to the area?
Sounds like it's mostly barren and you want
to make it completely barren except for the pine
and dogwood?

--
Dan Espen
Old 26-07-2011, 03:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/25/2011 7:59 PM, Billy wrote:
In , wrote:

I have a house in Atlanta, 7b Piedmont, with a weedy sparse front
yard. It's all low growing and the weeds pop up tall shoots. Poor soil
with some pine straw. It's slanty ground with a big pine and a dogwood.
Kudzu is thriving next door and headed my way.

So, I've been popping the weeds out, they are hardly nothing but some
broad stubby leaves laying against the ground and the aforementioned
flower stalk. I can see this may not be working!

Suggestions?

Jeff

Run.

Hey, it's an adventure. And I'm blessed with not only not having to
worry about mistakes, but finding them easy to make!

The coleus is thriving, the knock out rose is doing OK. The
gardenias, not so good. And it's been weeks since the crime scene
police were out. Ah, the life of a landlord of a 14 K house!

Jeff

Old 26-07-2011, 05:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

j wrote:
On 7/25/2011 9:08 PM, wrote:
writes:

I have a house in Atlanta, 7b Piedmont, with a weedy sparse front
yard. It's all low growing and the weeds pop up tall shoots. Poor
soil with some pine straw. It's slanty ground with a big pine and a
dogwood. Kudzu is thriving next door and headed my way.

So, I've been popping the weeds out, they are hardly nothing but
some broad stubby leaves laying against the ground and the
aforementioned flower stalk. I can see this may not be working!

Suggestions?

What do you want to do to the area?
Sounds like it's mostly barren and you want
to make it completely barren except for the pine
and dogwood?

It has something like grass, but it's not thick.

I'd like to get rid of the weeds and at the moment I'm not adverse to
chemicals. Then, I don't know. Maybe I should just mow it low, like
everybody else.

Jeff

If you leave the dirt bare you will be forever removing weeds, whether by
hand or spray. Grass is a covering that will exclude weeds to some extent
but it is high maintenance because it takes, mowing, watering, fertilising
etc to grow strongly. If it doesn't grow strongly the weeds win. Grass is
particularly hard to keep going in wear areas and if your climate isn't
suitable but it is always costly.

You can cover the ground in other ways that are less maintenance (shrubs,
ground covers, perennials etc with mulch underneath) but you can't play ball
or wrassle with the dog there like on grass.

You need to decide first what you want to do in the area second how much
effort you want to expend to make it look like what you want.

David

Old 26-07-2011, 06:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

In , wrote:

[...]

Gardening is a lot like walking around in a dark room. After you've run
into everything that's there, you know where you are ;O)

Old 26-07-2011, 11:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
j wrote:
On 7/25/2011 9:08 PM, wrote:
writes:

[...]

Add grass seed to your yard every fall. This will make it harder for weeds
to take over. If you do not fill the bare spots in the dirt, nature will.

Old 31-07-2011, 06:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

Nad R wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
j wrote:
On 7/25/2011 9:08 PM, wrote:
writes:

[...]

I would suggest fertilizing every fall as more important, so that the grass
grows it's roots during the fall and winter, which will result in much better
growth in the spring. Certainly, both could be done with appropriate timing.