GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   sunflowers wilting for no reason? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/199805-sunflowers-wilting-no-reason.html)

kristan 23-09-2011 10:58 AM

sunflowers wilting for no reason?

this year is my 5 year in a row of growing sunflowers in the garden , and they have gotton to near flowering now and there is a bud showing , and all of a sudden 2 of the 3 i planted have suddenly wilted

any idea's , and there has been anoth rain latly to rule out lack of water

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 23-09-2011 09:46 PM

kristan wrote:
this year is my 5 year in a row of growing sunflowers in the garden ,
and they have gotton to near flowering now and there is a bud
showing , and all of a sudden 2 of the 3 i planted have suddenly
wilted

any idea's , and there has been anoth rain latly to rule out lack of
water

Possibly too much rain, they may have a root fungus.

kristan 23-09-2011 11:37 PM

yes but how come there is one that is fine . when its right next to the drooping ones?

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 24-09-2011 07:11 AM

kristan wrote:
yes but how come there is one that is fine . when its right next to
the drooping ones?

Because the fungi in the soil are not everywhere the same and plants have
different resistence to them. I have had two eggplants drop dead from
fusarium wilt leaving the others OK.

beecrofter[_2_] 24-09-2011 04:17 PM

sunflowers wilting for no reason?

There are insects that bore out the center of the stems, usually the plant just snaps at a weak point, but sometimes they wilt.

kristan 25-09-2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beecrofter[_2_] (Post 937552)
There are insects that bore out the center of the stems, usually the plant just snaps at a weak point, but sometimes they wilt.

yea they pulled right out with no roots , ohwell atleast i now have room for my water butt which i plan to put there :)

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 25-09-2011 10:51 PM

sunflowers wilting for no reason?

kristan wrote:
'beecrofter[_2_ Wrote:
;937552']There are insects that bore out the center of the stems,
usually the plant just snaps at a weak point, but sometimes they
wilt.

yea they pulled right out with no roots , ohwell atleast i now have
room for my water butt which i plan to put there :)

This could still be fungus.