Old 23-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Registered User

Default sunflowers wilting for no reason?

this year is my 5 year in a row of growing sunflowers in the garden , and they have gotton to near flowering now and there is a bud showing , and all of a sudden 2 of the 3 i planted have suddenly wilted

any idea's , and there has been anoth rain latly to rule out lack of water
Old 23-09-2011, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

kristan wrote:
this year is my 5 year in a row of growing sunflowers in the garden ,
and they have gotton to near flowering now and there is a bud
showing , and all of a sudden 2 of the 3 i planted have suddenly
wilted

any idea's , and there has been anoth rain latly to rule out lack of
water

Possibly too much rain, they may have a root fungus.

Old 23-09-2011, 11:37 PM
Registered User

yes but how come there is one that is fine . when its right next to the drooping ones?
Old 24-09-2011, 07:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

kristan wrote:
yes but how come there is one that is fine . when its right next to
the drooping ones?

Because the fungi in the soil are not everywhere the same and plants have
different resistence to them. I have had two eggplants drop dead from
fusarium wilt leaving the others OK.

Old 24-09-2011, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

There are insects that bore out the center of the stems, usually the plant just snaps at a weak point, but sometimes they wilt.

Old 25-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Registered User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by beecrofter[_2_] View Post
There are insects that bore out the center of the stems, usually the plant just snaps at a weak point, but sometimes they wilt.
yea they pulled right out with no roots , ohwell atleast i now have room for my water butt which i plan to put there
Old 25-09-2011, 10:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

kristan wrote:
'beecrofter[_2_ Wrote:
;937552']There are insects that bore out the center of the stems,
usually the plant just snaps at a weak point, but sometimes they
wilt.

yea they pulled right out with no roots , ohwell atleast i now have
room for my water butt which i plan to put there

This could still be fungus.