Old 23-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Registered User

Location: London
Default 2 climbers need ID

Hi,
I am new here and I hope you can help me to solve mystery of 2 climber plants I have in my garden. I have 'inherited' both of them from the former house owner and unfortunately they were cut severely in early spring by a builder working on fence repairs. I think this is the reason why none of them flowered in the summer. I am sending pictures attached - maybe you will be able to identify them? They seem to have recovered quite well and spread on the fence. I wonder if I should keep them or replace with other climber of my choice?
Attached Thumbnails
2 climbers need ID-dsc_0984a.jpg   2 climbers need ID-dsc_0988a.jpg
Old 26-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber123 View Post
Hi,
I am new here and I hope you can help me to solve mystery of 2 climber plants I have in my garden. I have 'inherited' both of them from the former house owner and unfortunately they were cut severely in early spring by a builder working on fence repairs. I think this is the reason why none of them flowered in the summer. I am sending pictures attached - maybe you will be able to identify them? They seem to have recovered quite well and spread on the fence. I wonder if I should keep them or replace with other climber of my choice?
Hi Amber, the one on the left looks like a Campsis radicans 'The trumpet creeper' It has large orange/red trumpet flowers in late summer. I'm only guessing that its C. radicans as this is the form most commonly grown !! (there is a variety called Campsis radicans flava which has yellow flowers). The climber on the right is a type of Jasmine and probably Jasminum officinale 'White summer Jasmine'. Both are lovely climbers and I'd keep them !! they will have benefited from being cut back hard and as you say, thats the reason you probably havent had any flowers. I'd add further climbers of your choice, this is the beauty of climbers, they can be grown together as a scrambling mass.
regards Lannerman.

[IMG] code is On

I need help with climbers Novaquesne Roses 4 27-12-2003 12:28 AM
climbers heidi Roses 3 30-03-2003 02:32 AM
Climbers Jeanne Stockdale United Kingdom 2 10-03-2003 09:33 PM
Red & White Climbers climbing iceberg Radika Kesavan Roses 1 27-01-2003 10:09 AM
child friendly climbers ellio United Kingdom 8 22-11-2002 06:11 PM