Old 26-02-2003, 12:51 AM
Jerry Adams

Default Question on Growing Wildflowers

I'm interested in growing two types of flowers on a hill located in
Marin County, Calif. The two types of flowers are the California
Poppy and the California Bluebell (Phacelia campanularia). I have two
issues that I'd like help on:

1. Ideally, I'd like to get both plants to bloom concurrently. The
bluebell seems to like to bloom earlier than the poppy but then it is
a bigger plant and might take longer to grow. Does anyone have a good
source on how long it takes different flowers to bloom once the seed
is placed? (Surprisingly, the catalogue companies are pretty sparse
on this information and I get conflicting information when I call
them.) Anyone have thoughts on how to time planting for Calif.
poppies vs Calif. bluebells if you want them to be in bloom at the
same time?

2. The hill I'm going to plant on currently has never been gardened
and has native grass growing on it. I'm looking more for a wildflower
meadow look than a neatly tilled plot of flowers. I'm thinking about
using Roundup to clear some of the area to give the flowers a head
start. The Roundup label says the sprayed area is safe for new
planting after 24 hours. Is it best to plant right after spraying or
wait a few days/weeks until after Roundup has taken effect and the
grass is already wilted.

As someone very new to this hobby, I appreciate any help/feedback.
Old 26-02-2003, 01:51 AM
DGiunti

Once you naturalize the area, you can't control the blooming time after the
initial sewing of the seed.

I know that the poppies do well on your side of the gate, but you might not
be in an area where they are really prolific. Rainfall and soil condition mean
a lot for a wildflower. I would not be surprised to find a google.com search
that lead to a site that listed the optimal conditions for this plant.

Sorry, but I have never tried the Bluebell (Phacelia campanularia). Does it
put in a show anywhere near you?

You can surely get the poppies to do a show in the spring. If the bluebells
bloom at a similar time, they are possible too. Getting water later in the
season will limit productivity.

Dave

In article ,
(Jerry Adams) writes:

[...]

David Giunti email:
unity
What is the question? Gertrude Stein's last words
No one mouth is big enough to utter the whole thing. Alan Watts

On Display in the UK
http://www.web-gallery.co.uk
Old 08-03-2003, 02:32 AM
hermine stover

On 25 Feb 2003 16:42:00 -0800, (Jerry Adams) wrote:

[...]

Do a web seaarch for "Desert to Junge' a nursery owned by Gary Hammer
in southern California.
I think you will get a very detailed answer to your question. ALSO
John Greenlee in Pomona knows a great deal about this kind of
landscape. I hope you can locate these fellows, and tell them i
recommend them most highly

(i am a bamboo person if you want to do some dwarf groundcovers)
Old 08-03-2003, 02:56 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 18:25:27 -0800, hermine stover
wrote:

Gary Hammer
in southern California.

Another thief

Regards,

tomj

Old 08-03-2003, 03:32 AM
zhanataya

On Sat, 08 Mar 2003 02:50:40 GMT, Tom Jaszewski
wrote:

On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 18:25:27 -0800, hermine stover
wrote:

Gary Hammer
in southern California.

Another thief

Regards,

tomj

Thief? Tom what are you talking about? Is it good drugs? Somebodys
gotta share. I'd like one more fling before I go. I thought they
were talking about plants. The non-halligenic kind.

zhan
Old 08-03-2003, 08:33 PM
TOM KAN PA

Subject: Question on Growing Wildflowers
From: zhanataya

Is it good drugs? Somebodys gotta share. I'd like one more fling before I
go.
____Reply Separator_____

I don't do drugs anymore, 'cause I get the same effect just standing up fast.

[IMG] code is On

wildflowers in their glory! loonyhiker Gardening 8 20-06-2003 07:56 AM
Gorman Wildflowers Charles Gardening 0 29-04-2003 04:44 AM
Petrified Wood And Desert Wildflowers Inyo Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:30 PM
Petrified Wood And Desert Wildflowers Inyo Plant Science 0 01-03-2003 08:14 PM
Perennial Wildflowers Martin & Anna Sykes United Kingdom 2 04-12-2002 09:48 PM