Old 01-02-2012, 07:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Honey as substitute rooting Hormone

The sugar content would substitute for the sap lost when
the cuttings are taken.

Really? How does this work?
Old 01-02-2012, 08:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 11:37:49 -0800 (PST), Gunner
wrote:

The sugar content would substitute for the sap lost when
the cuttings are taken.

Really? How does this work?

I'm guess that someone believes that honey or sugar syrup equates to
sap because it has a similar consistency. Seems to me, the part of
the plant which would be uptaking fluid would already be in moist
media (or directly in water).

If you took a mid-branch cutting (i.e. there's an exposed cut at the
top of the cutting), I could see a potential benefit to sealing that
off with some grafting wax, beeswax, or other graft sealer, so that
the cutting itself doesn't weep and expends less energy to scar over.
That is, if you seal it off, you can put off the scar formation until
after there are roots forming and the cutting is more equipped with
energy/nutrient uptake to support the healing.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

The sugar content would substitute for the sap lost when
the cuttings are taken.

*Really? How does this work?

I'm guess that someone believes that honey or sugar syrup equates to
sap because it has a similar consistency. *Seems to me, the part of
the plant which would be uptaking fluid would already be in moist
media (or directly in water).

Then someone doesn't understand growth hormone & signal response,

If you took a mid-branch cutting (i.e. there's an exposed cut at the
top of the cutting), I could see a potential benefit to sealing that
off with some grafting wax, beeswax, or other graft sealer, so that
the cutting itself doesn't weep and expends less energy to scar over.
That is, if you *seal it off, you can put off the scar formation until
after there are roots forming and the cutting is more equipped with
energy/nutrient uptake to support

Don't believe there is a need for sealing the end of proper cuttings a
Old 05-02-2012, 06:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

The sugar content would substitute for the sap lost when
the cuttings are taken.

*Really? How does this work?

I'm guess that someone believes that honey or sugar syrup equates to
sap because it has a similar consistency. *Seems to me, the part of
the plant which would be uptaking fluid would already be in moist
media (or directly in water).

It should replace carbohydrates lost when the cutting was
severed from its roots, helping it survive if it roots slowly. Not
that I've had that problem, it's just a hypothetical.

If you took a mid-branch cutting (i.e. there's an exposed cut at the
top of the cutting), I could see a potential benefit to sealing that
off with some grafting wax, beeswax, or other graft sealer, so that
the cutting itself doesn't weep and expends less energy to scar over.
That is, if you *seal it off, you can put off the scar formation until
after there are roots forming and the cutting is more equipped with
energy/nutrient uptake to support the healing.

I'd toss the cutting, since without apical meristem, it's not
producing auxins.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

The sugar content would substitute for the sap lost when
the cuttings are taken.

*Really? How does this work?

It should replace carbohydrates lost when the cutting was
severed from its roots, helping it survive if it roots slowly. *Not
that I've had that problem, it's just a hypothetical.

I get that it is hypothetical, and not a very accurate one at that.

I'd toss the cutting, since without apical meristem, it's not
producing auxins.

Also not true! You need to review your subject matter more carefully.

[IMG] code is On

rooting hormone query Xi Wang Orchids 3 09-03-2005 12:43 AM
rooting hormone query Xi Wang Orchids 0 08-03-2005 02:33 AM
Hormone rooting compound ? Sla#s United Kingdom 2 03-02-2005 09:40 PM
rooting hormone WiGard Gardening 5 01-02-2004 02:46 PM
Shelf liife of rooting hormone Franz Heymann United Kingdom 26 24-08-2003 05:03 PM