GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Flower or weed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/202646-flower-weed.html)

Derek Lax 15-03-2012 05:27 PM

Flower or weed

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all
This is my first post and it's an identification question.
Can you tell me if the attached picture shows a flower or a weed leaf system.
I'm a complete novice at this, my wife was the green fingered but she sadly passed away last year. So now I'm in charge but don't know my weeds from my elbow.
So if you could identify this plant as friend (flower) or foe (weed) I'd be grateful.
Thanks
Derek

Dan Espen[_2_] 15-03-2012 09:53 PM

Flower or weed

Derek Lax xalkeredATyahooDOTcom writes:

Hello all
This is my first post and it's an identification question.
Can you tell me if the attached picture shows a flower or a weed leaf
system.
I'm a complete novice at this, my wife was the green fingered but she
sadly passed away last year. So now I'm in charge but don't know my
weeds from my elbow.
So if you could identify this plant as friend (flower) or foe (weed) I'd
be grateful.

Looks like wood geranium.

Can be a flower or a weed depending on your point of view.
A weed is simply a plant where you don't want it.

They spread like weeds in my yard but I mostly leave them alone
since I'm going for an informal look anyway.

--
Dan Espen

Amos Nomore 16-03-2012 01:36 AM

Flower or weed

In article ,
Derek Lax xalkeredATyahooDOTcom wrote:

Hello all
This is my first post and it's an identification question.
Can you tell me if the attached picture shows a flower or a weed leaf
system.
I'm a complete novice at this, my wife was the green fingered but she
sadly passed away last year. So now I'm in charge but don't know my
weeds from my elbow.
So if you could identify this plant as friend (flower) or foe (weed) I'd
be grateful.
Thanks
Derek

|Filename: weed.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14808|

Could be a bleeding heart or other Dicentra species. I'd let it grow.
Flower buds will probably be appearing fairly soon.

Bill who putters 16-03-2012 02:02 PM

Flower or weed

In article
,
Amos Nomore wrote:

In article ,
Derek Lax xalkeredATyahooDOTcom wrote:

Hello all
This is my first post and it's an identification question.
Can you tell me if the attached picture shows a flower or a weed leaf
system.
I'm a complete novice at this, my wife was the green fingered but she
sadly passed away last year. So now I'm in charge but don't know my
weeds from my elbow.
So if you could identify this plant as friend (flower) or foe (weed) I'd
be grateful.
Thanks
Derek

|Filename: weed.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14808|

Could be a bleeding heart or other Dicentra species. I'd let it grow.
Flower buds will probably be appearing fairly soon.

I agree may be a bleeding heart. White or red will take some time.
Good plant.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://marshallmcluhanspeaks.com/

Derek Lax 17-03-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill who putters (Post 953436)
In article
,
Amos Nomore
wrote:

In article
,
[...]

Marshall McLuhan Speaks — Centennial 2011

Many thanks chaps, I'll leave it to grow and see what happens
Derek

Derek Lax 17-03-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Lax (Post 953394)
Hello all
This is my first post and it's an identification question.
Can you tell me if the attached picture shows a flower or a weed leaf system.
I'm a complete novice at this, my wife was the green fingered but she sadly passed away last year. So now I'm in charge but don't know my weeds from my elbow.
So if you could identify this plant as friend (flower) or foe (weed) I'd be grateful.
Thanks
Derek

Many thanks guys
I'll leave it to grow and see what happens
Thanks Derek

Enid Sturgess 04-07-2017 08:48 AM

This looks like Welsh poppy to me. It should eventually have a yellow or orange flower. It will seed itself around and whether you allow it to do this depends on how much you like it.