GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Succulents.... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/202648-succulents.html)

laurap74 15-03-2012 06:57 PM

Succulents....

Hi I am a new not very expert passionate gardener! I would like to plant some succulent plants on a pot in my balcony, how deep should the pot be more or less? I wanted to buy a round flat one, would that be ok? Thanku :)

lannerman 16-03-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laurap74 (Post 953396)
Hi I am a new not very expert passionate gardener! I would like to plant some succulent plants on a pot in my balcony, how deep should the pot be more or less? I wanted to buy a round flat one, would that be ok? Thanku :)

Hi Laura, the shape and size of the pot is of little relavence but what is of great importance is drainage and compost. Make sure that the container has suitable drainage and that the compost you use is gritty and very free draining. I use a mixture (by volume) of 3 parts multipurpose to one of sharp gritty sand.
As a general rule, keep the compost only just moist in summer but come winter, let it dry out completely, only watering very little !
Lannerman.

CGCC STUDENT 17-03-2012 06:34 AM

Succulents....

On Mar 16, 2:52*pm, lannerman
wrote:
laurap74;953396 Wrote:

Hi I am a new not very expert passionate gardener! I would like to plant
some succulent plants on a pot in my balcony, how deep should the pot be
more or less? I wanted to buy a round flat one, would that be ok? Thanku
:)

--
lannerman

Good idea!