Old 17-05-2012, 12:19 PM
Banned

Location: Bristol
Question Plant identification

Hi all

Okay first of all can anyone tell me the name of this pant please.
I inherited this plant in the spring last year it flowered really well towards the end of the summer i think.
The problem is its not looking very healthy i really want to do something about it to make it well again.
I think it needs repotting in some fresh soil but im not sure which soil to use i'm pretty sure my dad used to use the acid soil but not 100%.
Also i am not sure what feed to give it as i'm not sure what the plant is called.
The leaves are going light yellow and quite a few has black/brown spots on them.

Thanks for everyones help in advance its such a nice plant i will be gutted if i lose it this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Plant identification-imag0115-.jpg
Old 17-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Banned

Location: Bristol
Smile

I have been searching the forum is it an Azalea by any chance i see they are acid loving so that would make sence and the leaves look similar too.
If so any tips would be brilliant ta very much.
Old 17-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Novice View Post
Hi all

Okay first of all can anyone tell me the name of this pant please.
I inherited this plant in the spring last year it flowered really well towards the end of the summer i think.
The problem is its not looking very healthy i really want to do something about it to make it well again.
I think it needs repotting in some fresh soil but im not sure which soil to use i'm pretty sure my dad used to use the acid soil but not 100%.
Also i am not sure what feed to give it as i'm not sure what the plant is called.
The leaves are going light yellow and quite a few has black/brown spots on them.

Thanks for everyones help in advance its such a nice plant i will be gutted if i lose it this year.
i think this plant is Polystichum neolobatum
__________________
Fruit Trees
Old 17-05-2012, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Plant identification

On 17/05/2012 12:19, Pete the Novice wrote:
Hi all

Okay first of all can anyone tell me the name of this pant please.
I inherited this plant in the spring last year it flowered really well
towards the end of the summer i think.
The problem is its not looking very healthy i really want to do
something about it to make it well again.
I think it needs repotting in some fresh soil but im not sure which soil
to use i'm pretty sure my dad used to use the acid soil but not 100%.
Also i am not sure what feed to give it as i'm not sure what the plant
is called.
The leaves are going light yellow and quite a few has black/brown spots
on them.

Thanks for everyones help in advance its such a nice plant i will be
gutted if i lose it this year.

|Filename: IMAG0115 a.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14995|

It's a rhododendron, but until it flowers (and maybe not even then -
there are so many that look very similar) it is not possible to say
which one. I would be surprised if it flowered at the end of summer, as
they usually flower around now (looking at the buds on your photo,
assuming it has just been taken, would confirm that).

Yes, it looks as though it woud benefit from repotting, maybe in a
larger container. It does need acid (ericaceous) soil. Also, it looks
as though it is in a concrete pot. Concrete is alkaline and over time,
as the acidity of the soil is lost, it might add to an already-stressed
plant. Best to avoid rhodos in concrete pots if possible. If you want
to keep it in the same pot line it with polythene. Don't forget to
punch a drainage hole through the polythene!

If repotted in acid soil it should grow and flower well. As an
insurance, you could always give it a dose of Iron Sequestrene which
will soon stop any yellowing.

--

Jeff
Old 17-05-2012, 04:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Pete the Novice wrote:

[...]

Someone else will be along to tell you what it is, but I'm thinking
rhododendron. Don't bet any money on my being right. I don't have
rhodies.

Does it have to stay in a pot? I think it would be much happier in the
ground.

Priscilla

Old 17-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Banned

Location: Bristol
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen73 View Post
i think this plant is Polystichum neolobatum
Thanks for your reply Allen i just googled Polystichum neolobatum and looked at a few pics pretty sure its not that one.

Tbh i have just returned from the garden centre and looked at lots of Azalea's and Rhododendron's i'm 100% it is one or the other. So much so i bought some soluble Azalea food and a fresh bag of Ericaceous Soil.