Old 04-06-2012, 11:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Grass in Iris and Day Lilies

I have issues with grass in Day Lilies and Iris. These are beds I do
not want to renovate.

I don't mind weeding, but the grass has me buffaloed.

Anyone have any experience using Poast herbicide in Iris or Day
Lilies?

I use it for strawberries, but have not tried a test on flowers.
Product label is no help on this.

Any help much appreciated.
Bob in KY

Old 05-06-2012, 01:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/4/12 3:51 PM, putter2 wrote:
I have issues with grass in Day Lilies and Iris. These are beds I do
not want to renovate.

I don't mind weeding, but the grass has me buffaloed.

Anyone have any experience using Poast herbicide in Iris or Day
Lilies?

I use it for strawberries, but have not tried a test on flowers.
Product label is no help on this.

Any help much appreciated.
Bob in KY

If the active ingredient in Poast is sethoxydim, it is safe to use
around iris and daylilies. Sethoxidem is the active ingredient in Grass
Getter; its label indicates it is safe around those two.

However, I must question your relunctance to renovate iris beds. Iris
needs to be divided every 3-4 years. Otherwise, it becomes over-crowded
and no longer blooms vigorously.

Daylilies are a different matter. I divided mine only when I wanted to
start a new clump elsewhere in my garden.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 06-06-2012, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 04 Jun 2012 17:33:10 -0700, "David E. Ross"
wrote:

If the active ingredient in Poast is sethoxydim, it is safe to use
around iris and daylilies. Sethoxidem is the active ingredient in Grass
Getter; its label indicates it is safe around those two.

Thanks for response. Was not familiar with Grass Getter. Evidently
Poast was purchased from BASF and renamed Grass Getter.

Grass Getter label is for homeowners. Poast label was directed at
major crop producers.
Bob in KY