Old 13-06-2012, 01:50 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default camouflage

had to get on the roof to do a little patching
today...

funny blob of concrete?

http://www.anthive.com/fun/100_6906_Where.jpg

erm... no...

http://www.anthive.com/fun/100_6909_TodaA.jpg
http://www.anthive.com/fun/100_6910_TodaB.jpg

songbird
Old 13-06-2012, 04:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

"songbird" wrote in message
had to get on the roof to do a little patching
today...

funny blob of concrete?

http://www.anthive.com/fun/100_6906_Where.jpg

erm... no...

http://www.anthive.com/fun/100_6909_TodaA.jpg
http://www.anthive.com/fun/100_6910_TodaB.jpg

songbird

I am guessing you never noticed the little toad ladder its been using to
climb up on to the roof

Mike

Old 13-06-2012, 11:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

Bloke Down The Pub wrote:
I am guessing you never noticed the little toad ladder its been using to
climb up on to the roof

we think either a bird dropped it or it
climbed up via a tree that slightly overhangs.
still rather amused/amazed as it gets very
hot up there and we've had 90F weather
already. as it was my feet and hands were a
bit cooked yesterday and it was only in the
70s and partly cloudy...

i'm still not even sure it is a toad or a
frog/treefrog, i didn't want to disturb it to
get a much closer look. still leaning towards
toad.

songbird
Old 13-06-2012, 01:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

songbird said:

had to get on the roof to do a little patching
today...

funny blob of concrete?

http://www.anthive.com/fun/100_6906_Where.jpg

erm... no...

http://www.anthive.com/fun/100_6909_TodaA.jpg
http://www.anthive.com/fun/100_6910_TodaB.jpg

Looks a bit like a gray tree frog. They had one in a large terrarium
at my daughter's elementary school. Used to randomly start making
calls at PTO meetings. Excellent climbers.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 13-06-2012, 03:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
songbird wrote:

http://www.anthive.com/fun/100_6909_TodaA.jpg

Gray tree frog, I think. You hear them a lot more than you see them,
most of the time.

They do a very nice job of looking like a spot of lichen. Of course,
when a spot of lichen appears on a black steel stair railing (or a plain
gray roof) all of a sudden, it's not such great camouflage. Anywhere
tree-ish it works very well. And even on the stair railing, the first
thought that came to mind was not "frog."

Old 13-06-2012, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:50:10 PM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
had to get on the roof to do a little patching
today...

funny blob of concrete?

http://www.anthive.com/fun/100_6906_Where.jpg

erm... no...

http://www.anthive.com/fun/100_6909_TodaA.jpg
http://www.anthive.com/fun/100_6910_TodaB.jpg

songbird

Going with tree frog, they have these neat suctioncup feet and climb on our sliding glass doors during rain. Drives the dogs nutz!!

And one night I saw what I thought was a moth on our textured ceilings in the bedroom. Too comfy to get up, I let it be. Shortly after I turned the light out I felt something bounce off my arm, felt really weird. Turned the light on, and looked, and it was one of those frogs like your picture. I got up and took him outside. Scared the Beejesus out of me. I couldn't believe he could suction cup on the ceiling all the way across the room.
Old 13-06-2012, 04:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Looks a bit like a gray tree frog. They had one in a large terrarium
at my daughter's elementary school. Used to randomly start making
calls at PTO meetings. Excellent climbers.

thanks Pat, indeed it is a gray tree frog.
strange place to take up living, but there
were plenty of horse flies up there for it
to snack on. if it climbed the house it
went over a horizontal surface of the eves
for 2ft to get to the roof. more likely it
came up the tree that overhangs slightly.
now i'll have to come up with another name
than Overtoad...

songbird
Old 13-06-2012, 04:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

songbird wrote:

had to get on the roof to do a little patching
today...

funny blob of concrete?

http://www.anthive.com/fun/100_6906_Where.jpg

erm... no...

changed the names to reflect it being tree frog
and not a toad...

http://www.anthive.com/fun/100_6909_Tree_FrogA.jpg
http://www.anthive.com/fun/100_6910_Tree_FrogB.jpg

songbird
Old 17-06-2012, 07:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/12/2012 8:50 PM, songbird wrote:
had to get on the roof to do a little patching
today...

funny blob of concrete?

http://www.anthive.com/fun/100_6906_Where.jpg

erm... no...

http://www.anthive.com/fun/100_6909_TodaA.jpg
http://www.anthive.com/fun/100_6910_TodaB.jpg

songbird

Cool. Did he jump up there?

Old 18-06-2012, 02:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

Frank wrote:
Cool. Did he jump up there?

tree frog. likely, climbed.

songbird