Old 22-07-2012, 11:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What is this plant? ? ?

I decided this year to try my hand at balcony gardening, so I got a
good-brand packet of pepper seed from the garden shop.

When they came up, I assumed they were peppers, but as they matured, clearly
they were not. They produced a large number of unusual small blooms, which
then turned into lantern-like pods. These pods contained a pea-sized fruit
which contained tiny seeds.

I should add, the soil I used came from a compost pile in a wooded area
behind the house. So I could very well be growing weeds which choked out the
peppers.

Here is a link to a photo. I'm plainly curious what it is.

https://sites.google.com/site/10test20/

Old 22-07-2012, 11:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 18:21:07 -0400, "Ray"
wrote:

I decided this year to try my hand at balcony gardening, so I got a
good-brand packet of pepper seed from the garden shop.

When they came up, I assumed they were peppers, but as they matured, clearly
they were not. They produced a large number of unusual small blooms, which
then turned into lantern-like pods. These pods contained a pea-sized fruit
which contained tiny seeds.

I should add, the soil I used came from a compost pile in a wooded area
behind the house. So I could very well be growing weeds which choked out the
peppers.

Here is a link to a photo. I'm plainly curious what it is.

https://sites.google.com/site/10test20/

Sure looks like Chinese lantern.

Old 23-07-2012, 12:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

I decided this year to try my hand at balcony gardening, so I got a
good-brand packet of pepper seed from the garden shop.

When they came up, I assumed they were peppers, but as they matured,
clearly they were not. They produced a large number of unusual small
blooms, which then turned into lantern-like pods. These pods
contained a pea-sized fruit which contained tiny seeds.

I should add, the soil I used came from a compost pile in a wooded
area behind the house. So I could very well be growing weeds which
choked out the peppers.

Here is a link to a photo. I'm plainly curious what it is.

https://sites.google.com/site/10test20/

Sure looks like Chinese lantern.

It could well be that. Also consider balloon vine. Use google images to
find examples to compare with what you have.