Old 23-03-2013, 02:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.rescue,alt.pets.cats,rec.gardens,misc.consumers.house

Default Fences - Cats - DIY?

dgk wrote:
For me, the small risk that something will happen to them is more than
offset by the enjoyment they get by being "free" outside. I've had
eight cats during the 16 years that I've had this fenced in yard. Four
have died, but none because they were allowed to go out. Four are
still enjoying the yard and will do so today when I get home.

And your neighbors just love yout cat's poop in their spinach.

Old 24-03-2013, 06:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.rescue,alt.pets.cats,rec.gardens,misc.consumers.house

In article , "Bob F"
wrote:

dgk wrote:
For me, the small risk that something will happen to them is more than
offset by the enjoyment they get by being "free" outside. I've had
eight cats during the 16 years that I've had this fenced in yard. Four
have died, but none because they were allowed to go out. Four are
still enjoying the yard and will do so today when I get home.

And your neighbors just love yout cat's poop in their spinach.

And bird poop, raccoon poop, mouse poop, and dog poop doesn't bother
you? Just be sure to wash your spinach, and other raw vegetables in your
meal, well. To be completely safe, be sure to serve a young red wine
with your meal.

Now researchers have found that red wine acts as an antibiotic in the
body, killing potentially fatal bacteria.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...better-us.html

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 25-03-2013, 02:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.rescue,alt.pets.cats,rec.gardens,misc.consumers.house
dgk dgk is offline

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 07:52:07 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

dgk wrote:
For me, the small risk that something will happen to them is more than
offset by the enjoyment they get by being "free" outside. I've had
eight cats during the 16 years that I've had this fenced in yard. Four
have died, but none because they were allowed to go out. Four are
still enjoying the yard and will do so today when I get home.

And your neighbors just love yout cat's poop in their spinach.

Six month old message. Still, you should be able to read those
important words "fenced in". That means that my cats stay in my yard.

Oddly since that post was written, one cat, my favorite, died in the
yard. I heard a weird noice, looked up at the window, heard it again,
fainter, and I went to check. I found Espy under the deck, dead. Vet
said heart attack. At least he got to die in the yard that he loved so
much. And no spinach was hurt in the incident. I do grow tomatoes and
string beans back there and it's the bird poop I'm concerned with.
Old 25-03-2013, 03:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.rescue,alt.pets.cats,rec.gardens,misc.consumers.house

wrote:

dgk wrote:
[...]

It's always something, isn't it? The up side to bird poop is that it is
rich in phosphates, and definitely good for your garden.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 17-12-2013, 04:40 PM
Registered User

Hello,

I am a researcher at Landmark Films, a documentary company based in Oxford who make films for BBC, ITV1, Channel 4 and Sky1. We are known for making access-led, intelligent, well crafted, warm and funny documentaries about human stories, different places and institutions. Our latest documentary series was Brain Doctors for BBC2, a three part series on the neurology department at the John Radcliffe Hospital.

In the new year we are due to start making a film about cats for the BBC. We would like to look at the UK's opinion on cats. We would like to make a balanced documentary and I wanted to involve bird watchers and lovers to get their opinions. Many people are having problems with the increasing number of feral cats in the UK, cats pooing on their gardens and killing birds in the area. The issue with cats killing birds has been raised by various scientific journals recently. I wanted to speak to anyone who is having a problem with cats in their garden or perhaps runs a business that is being affected.

Would anybody willing to have a chat with me about their cat problem?

Kind Regards,
Jessica Howe
Researcher
Landmark Films

01865297220/ 07530724477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Bag View Post
A friend of mine has one of these fences that's about 178cm (5'10")
tall:

http://stratco.com.au/products/fenci..._neighbour.asp

She wants to stop her cats getting out, and other cats getting in. I
know full well that there are numerous commercially available products
that will stop cats (along with other animals) climbing fences. I'm
sure they do work, but they're all fairly pricey, particularly if
attempting to cover a significant length of fencing. I'm now thinking
about trying a home-rigged set up. I'm considering getting a whole
heap of empty 2 Litre plastic softdrink bottles (Soda bottles to any
USA readers), then cutting off the base and neck of the bottles, then
cutting them lengthwise, then siliconing them to the tops of the fence
so the sides of the bottles "curve downwards" from the top of the
fence. I'm thinking this curved plastic will be too smooth and
slippery for a cat to get any grip with it's claws. I have no problem
with spending some time getting this to work, but I want to keep the
cost down, so spending lots of $$$ isn't happening.

I was wondering if anyone has attempted anything like this, and if
they can offer any advice. Thanks.

To any cat "lovers" out there, my friend isn't getting rid of her
cats, nor is she trapping/baiting any of the cats in her suburb.