GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mystery plant (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/205030-mystery-plant.html)

jena 04-09-2012 11:02 AM

Mystery plant

2 Attachment(s)
Can anyone help identify this plant please. I had one a couple of years ago that grew to over 6feet high and 4 foot across. It has furry silver green leaves. there are two photos, one is a large plant and one a seedling.

Stewart Robert Hinsley 04-09-2012 05:16 PM

Mystery plant

In message , jena
writes

Can anyone help identify this plant please. I had one a couple of years
ago that grew to over 6feet high and 4 foot across. It has furry silver
green leaves. there are two photos, one is a large plant and one a
seedling.

Does it has spikes of yellow flowers? If so, then one of the Verbascums.

|Filename: plant 3.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15259|
|Filename: plant 1.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15260|

Stewart Robert Hinsley

Brooklyn1 04-09-2012 07:34 PM

Mystery plant

On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 17:16:57 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

In message , jena
writes

Can anyone help identify this plant please. I had one a couple of years
ago that grew to over 6feet high and 4 foot across. It has furry silver
green leaves. there are two photos, one is a large plant and one a
seedling.

Does it has spikes of yellow flowers? If so, then one of the Verbascums.

I always call it "Lamb's Ear", in fact just this morning I pulled one
out that was growing at the base of one of my trees and was annoying
me, unfortunately I didn't get the root so I know it will grow back...
they can get kind of huge and they do send of a tall spike of yellow
flowers... they look okay in the right place, like in a hedgerow as
they are somewhat invasive.

|Filename: plant 3.JPG |

Kay Lancaster 04-09-2012 10:42 PM

Mystery plant

On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 10:02:19 +0000, jena wrote:

Can anyone help identify this plant please. I had one a couple of years
ago that grew to over 6feet high and 4 foot across. It has furry silver
green leaves. there are two photos, one is a large plant and one a
seedling.

|Filename: plant 3.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15259|
|Filename: plant 1.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15260|

Looks like it might be a Verbascum.... here's the weedy V. thapsus that I spent what felt like a good fraction of my childhood pulling:
http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/vesth.htm

Stewart Robert Hinsley 05-09-2012 11:35 AM

Mystery plant

In message , Brooklyn1
writes
On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 17:16:57 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

In message , jena
writes

Can anyone help identify this plant please. I had one a couple of years
ago that grew to over 6feet high and 4 foot across. It has furry silver
green leaves. there are two photos, one is a large plant and one a
seedling.

Does it has spikes of yellow flowers? If so, then one of the Verbascums.

I always call it "Lamb's Ear", in fact just this morning I pulled one
out that was growing at the base of one of my trees and was annoying
me, unfortunately I didn't get the root so I know it will grow back...
they can get kind of huge and they do send of a tall spike of yellow
flowers... they look okay in the right place, like in a hedgerow as
they are somewhat invasive.

That's an example of the problem with using vernacular names. Here
Lamb's Ear is Stachys byzantina.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Jeff Layman[_2_] 05-09-2012 01:00 PM

Mystery plant

On 05/09/2012 11:35, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Brooklyn1
writes
On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 17:16:57 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

In message , jena
writes

Can anyone help identify this plant please. I had one a couple of years
ago that grew to over 6feet high and 4 foot across. It has furry silver
green leaves. there are two photos, one is a large plant and one a
seedling.

Does it has spikes of yellow flowers? If so, then one of the Verbascums.

I always call it "Lamb's Ear", in fact just this morning I pulled one
out that was growing at the base of one of my trees and was annoying
me, unfortunately I didn't get the root so I know it will grow back...
they can get kind of huge and they do send of a tall spike of yellow
flowers... they look okay in the right place, like in a hedgerow as
they are somewhat invasive.

That's an example of the problem with using vernacular names. Here
Lamb's Ear is Stachys byzantina.

Or Stachys lanata...

--

Jeff