Old 04-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Registered User

Default Mystery plant

Can anyone help identify this plant please. I had one a couple of years ago that grew to over 6feet high and 4 foot across. It has furry silver green leaves. there are two photos, one is a large plant and one a seedling.
Attached Thumbnails
Mystery plant-plant-3.jpg   Mystery plant-plant-1.jpg
Old 04-09-2012, 05:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

In message , jena
writes

Can anyone help identify this plant please. I had one a couple of years
ago that grew to over 6feet high and 4 foot across. It has furry silver
green leaves. there are two photos, one is a large plant and one a
seedling.

Does it has spikes of yellow flowers? If so, then one of the Verbascums.

|Filename: plant 3.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15259|
|Filename: plant 1.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15260|

Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 04-09-2012, 07:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 17:16:57 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

In message , jena
writes

Can anyone help identify this plant please. I had one a couple of years
ago that grew to over 6feet high and 4 foot across. It has furry silver
green leaves. there are two photos, one is a large plant and one a
seedling.

Does it has spikes of yellow flowers? If so, then one of the Verbascums.

I always call it "Lamb's Ear", in fact just this morning I pulled one
out that was growing at the base of one of my trees and was annoying
me, unfortunately I didn't get the root so I know it will grow back...
they can get kind of huge and they do send of a tall spike of yellow
flowers... they look okay in the right place, like in a hedgerow as
they are somewhat invasive.

|Filename: plant 3.JPG |

Old 04-09-2012, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 10:02:19 +0000, jena wrote:

Can anyone help identify this plant please. I had one a couple of years
ago that grew to over 6feet high and 4 foot across. It has furry silver
green leaves. there are two photos, one is a large plant and one a
seedling.

|Filename: plant 3.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15259|
|Filename: plant 1.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15260|

Looks like it might be a Verbascum.... here's the weedy V. thapsus that I spent what felt like a good fraction of my childhood pulling:
http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/vesth.htm
Old 05-09-2012, 11:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

In message , Brooklyn1
writes
On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 17:16:57 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

In message , jena
writes

Can anyone help identify this plant please. I had one a couple of years
ago that grew to over 6feet high and 4 foot across. It has furry silver
green leaves. there are two photos, one is a large plant and one a
seedling.

Does it has spikes of yellow flowers? If so, then one of the Verbascums.

I always call it "Lamb's Ear", in fact just this morning I pulled one
out that was growing at the base of one of my trees and was annoying
me, unfortunately I didn't get the root so I know it will grow back...
they can get kind of huge and they do send of a tall spike of yellow
flowers... they look okay in the right place, like in a hedgerow as
they are somewhat invasive.

That's an example of the problem with using vernacular names. Here
Lamb's Ear is Stachys byzantina.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 05-09-2012, 01:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 05/09/2012 11:35, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Brooklyn1
writes
On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 17:16:57 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

In message , jena
writes

Can anyone help identify this plant please. I had one a couple of years
ago that grew to over 6feet high and 4 foot across. It has furry silver
green leaves. there are two photos, one is a large plant and one a
seedling.

Does it has spikes of yellow flowers? If so, then one of the Verbascums.

I always call it "Lamb's Ear", in fact just this morning I pulled one
out that was growing at the base of one of my trees and was annoying
me, unfortunately I didn't get the root so I know it will grow back...
they can get kind of huge and they do send of a tall spike of yellow
flowers... they look okay in the right place, like in a hedgerow as
they are somewhat invasive.

That's an example of the problem with using vernacular names. Here
Lamb's Ear is Stachys byzantina.

Or Stachys lanata...

--

Jeff