Old 14-12-2012, 12:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Glyphosate residues - David

David you may recall that soem time back we had a discussion here on
glyphosate residues - it arose from a post that was made by Sheldon and
where I responded about how it seemed to leave residues that had an impact
on roses. You asked if anyone had seen and 'real' info on any residues.

The Jan/Feb 2013 (and yes, that 2013 date is correct) copy of the ABC
'Organic Gardener' mag has a response from Jerry C-W in the Q and A section
about this very topic and he's given has lots of cites. It seems there is
lots of well researched findings on the residues and he mentions which foods
it can be found in which were grown a year after application.

Old 14-12-2012, 01:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

Farm1 wrote:
David you may recall that soem time back we had a discussion here on
glyphosate residues - it arose from a post that was made by Sheldon
and where I responded about how it seemed to leave residues that had
an impact on roses. You asked if anyone had seen and 'real' info on
any residues.
The Jan/Feb 2013 (and yes, that 2013 date is correct) copy of the ABC
'Organic Gardener' mag has a response from Jerry C-W in the Q and A
section about this very topic and he's given has lots of cites. It
seems there is lots of well researched findings on the residues and
he mentions which foods it can be found in which were grown a year
after application.

Thanks. It looks like the article isn't on line. Any chance you could give
me the references?

David

Old 14-12-2012, 07:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:
David you may recall that soem time back we had a discussion here on
glyphosate residues - it arose from a post that was made by Sheldon
and where I responded about how it seemed to leave residues that had
an impact on roses. You asked if anyone had seen and 'real' info on
any residues.
The Jan/Feb 2013 (and yes, that 2013 date is correct) copy of the ABC
'Organic Gardener' mag has a response from Jerry C-W in the Q and A
section about this very topic and he's given has lots of cites. It
seems there is lots of well researched findings on the residues and
he mentions which foods it can be found in which were grown a year
after application.

Thanks. It looks like the article isn't on line. Any chance you could
give me the references?

There are 9 of them and they are all long URLs so it'd take me ages and you
can see from my post above that my typing is very bad.

Here's one but other than that it might be worth asking if your local
library has a copy or can get it on InterLL. My local library gets it and I
get them to get me lots of things on InterLL if I think I might want to buy
it - these days I want to see stuff before I buy.

US EPA Reregistration Eligibility decision (RED), Glyphosate,
1993:W:epa.gov/oppsrrd1/REDs/old_reds/glyphosate.pdf

Oh gack! That's about as useful as boobs on a budgie but if you put that
into google from 'epa' onwards, it will get you a download of the PDF, ( I
hate them given my download speeds).

If you really can't get the mag at your local Library let me know and I"ll
plug through them over time for you when it's too hot to ge tout and garden.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thursday, December 13, 2012 4:07:00 PM UTC-8, Farm1 wrote:
David you may recall that soem time back we had a discussion here on

glyphosate residues - it arose from a post that was made by Sheldon and

where I responded about how it seemed to leave residues that had an impact

on roses. You asked if anyone had seen and 'real' info on any residues.

The Jan/Feb 2013 (and yes, that 2013 date is correct) copy of the ABC

'Organic Gardener' mag has a response from Jerry C-W in the Q and A section

about this very topic and he's given has lots of cites. It seems there is

lots of well researched findings on the residues and he mentions which foods

it can be found in which were grown a year after application.

while I have been hanging out in rec.gardens i noticed this question. I haven't researched glyphosate fate in soils directly but I have read some of the literature. glyposate is essentially a phosphonated amino acid. There are many bacterial strains that can completely degrade glyphosate to CO2, phosphate and amino acid. With the right genes bacteria eat glyphosate very well, as a carbon and energy source, as a P source and as an N source. However, in a soil that has not been previously exposed to glyphosate, it will take weeks to months to develop a microbial population that degrades glyphosate. Subsequent applications were found to be degraded quite rapidly and completely, within a week, IIRC.

Also I was under the impression that glyphosate is an effective plant killer only in foliar application, but I may be wrong.

Stuart

PS: Best luck to the Aussies on the list in the threatened zones.

So whether significant glyphosate would remain in a particular soil would depend
Old 09-01-2013, 02:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thursday, December 13, 2012 4:07:00 PM UTC-8, Farm1 wrote:
David you may recall that soem time back we had a discussion here on

glyphosate residues - it arose from a post that was made by Sheldon and

where I responded about how it seemed to leave residues that had an impact

on roses. You asked if anyone had seen and 'real' info on any residues.

The Jan/Feb 2013 (and yes, that 2013 date is correct) copy of the ABC

'Organic Gardener' mag has a response from Jerry C-W in the Q and A section

about this very topic and he's given has lots of cites. It seems there is

lots of well researched findings on the residues and he mentions which foods

it can be found in which were grown a year after application.

More message actions
6:18 PM (2 minutes ago)
while I have been hanging out in rec.gardens i noticed this question. I haven't researched glyphosate fate in soils directly but I have read some of the literature. glyposate is essentially a phosphonated amino acid. There are many bacterial strains that can completely degrade glyphosate to CO2, phosphate and amino acid. With the right genes bacteria eat glyphosate very well, as a carbon and energy source, as a P source and as an N source. However, in a soil that has not been previously exposed to glyphosate, it will take weeks to months to develop a microbial population that degrades glyphosate. Subsequent applications were found to be degraded quite rapidly and completely, within a week, IIRC.

So whether significant glyphosate would remain in a particular soil would depend on whether the soil had been exposed to glyphosate previously. If it had (within a few years), the soil bacterial population probably would have sufficient copies of the glyphosate degradation pathway (only a couple genes) to degrade the chemical to undetectable.