Old 12-05-2013, 11:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Asparagus harvesting?

Planted several Asparagus plants last season. They came back this season
but were really thin. How many years should I wait to harvest - and when
will they get thicker than a pencil? :-)
Old 13-05-2013, 12:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/12/13 3:01 PM, DirtBag wrote:
Planted several Asparagus plants last season. They came back this season
but were really thin. How many years should I wait to harvest - and when
will they get thicker than a pencil? :-)

It takes 2-3 years. Then, you have to stop harvesting when new shoots
are again very thin.

Feed and water as you would other plants in your garden. Leave the
billowy "ferns" in place until they turn yellow in the fall.

When you cut the yellowed plants, leave a 3-inch stub as a marker so you
can see where to expect new edible shoots the following spring. If you
get snow in the winter, Sunset recommends leaving the dead growth to
hold snow in place, which will protect the roots from even colder
temperatures. (Fortunately, that is not a problem in my climate.)

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 13-05-2013, 05:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 12, 7:54*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
[...]

Yes, wait at least two years before you harvest any asparagus. Don't
let them flower. And you might need to move them around in about 5
years. Generous fertilizer is a plus.

Chris
Old 14-05-2013, 12:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

Chris said

[...]

Thanks for your help guys.

How do I stop them from flowering? Cut off any attempts for flowers to
form?

(Sorry, newby here) :-)
Old 14-05-2013, 12:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

Chris wrote:
[...]

Why not let them flower? Just what are you going to do about it?

Why move them in 5 years?

David

Old 14-05-2013, 06:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
DirtBag wrote:

Planted several Asparagus plants last season. They came back this season
but were really thin. How many years should I wait to harvest - and when
will they get thicker than a pencil? :-)

The bigger, the better.

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 15-05-2013, 12:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/13/13 4:38 PM, DirtBag wrote:
Chris said

[...]

The flowers are tiny and scattered over the plant. Don't bother trying
to stop them or remove them.

Asparagus shares a characteristic with certain other plants -- including
ginkgo and ash trees and date palms -- that there are separate male
plants and female plants. If you have female asparagus plants, you
might get berries. If they ripen (turning bright red) and fall off, you
will soon have even more asparagus plants, some where you don't want
them. In that case, you might trim away parts of the plants that have
berries turning red.