GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tough Tomatoes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/208150-tough-tomatoes.html)

Notat Home 03-09-2013 06:38 PM

Tough Tomatoes

This year we planted three varieties of tomatoes in zone 5. All were
slow to fruit and develop, but we are now harvesting. I noticed that
all of the ones we have eaten have very tough skins. What would cause
this?

Higgs Boson 03-09-2013 10:54 PM

Tough Tomatoes

On Tuesday, September 3, 2013 10:38:24 AM UTC-7, Notat Home wrote:
This year we planted three varieties of tomatoes in zone 5. All were

slow to fruit and develop, but we are now harvesting. I noticed that

all of the ones we have eaten have very tough skins. What would cause

this?

Tell us the names of the thick-skinned guys so we can avoid.

HB

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 03-09-2013 11:17 PM

Tough Tomatoes

Notat Home wrote:
This year we planted three varieties of tomatoes in zone 5. All were
slow to fruit and develop, but we are now harvesting. I noticed that
all of the ones we have eaten have very tough skins. What would cause
this?

Ah ha! They are genetically modified, with the SprMrkt#5 gene, it is
transferred from a walrus. You should see what happens to them walrusses
after they have their jeans taken off....

Billy[_10_] 03-10-2013 06:01 PM

Tough Tomatoes

In article ,
Notat Home wrote:

This year we planted three varieties of tomatoes in zone 5. All were
slow to fruit and develop, but we are now harvesting. I noticed that
all of the ones we have eaten have very tough skins. What would cause
this?

Slow growth, and dry farming make for stronger cell walls.
--
Palestinian Child Detained
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg

Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.

Higgs Boson 04-10-2013 01:50 AM

Tough Tomatoes

On Tuesday, September 3, 2013 3:17:12 PM UTC-7, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Notat Home wrote:

This year we planted three varieties of tomatoes in zone 5. All were

slow to fruit and develop, but we are now harvesting. I noticed that

all of the ones we have eaten have very tough skins. What would cause

this?

Ah ha! They are genetically modified, with the SprMrkt#5 gene, it is

transferred from a walrus. You should see what happens to them walrusses

after they have their jeans taken off....

Or am I having my leg pulled? Very naive...

HB