Old 03-02-2014, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Manzanita

Manzanita berries. Just now starting to drop off.
http://imageshack.com/a/img855/4288/51tp.jpg

Old 03-02-2014, 11:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/3/2014 10:13 AM, Guv Bob wrote:
Manzanita berries. Just now starting to drop off.
http://imageshack.com/a/img855/4288/51tp.jpg

From the few visible leaves and the appearance of the berries, this
might also be cotoneaster.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 05-02-2014, 03:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/3/2014 3:57 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 2/3/2014 10:13 AM, Guv Bob wrote:
Manzanita berries. Just now starting to drop off.
http://imageshack.com/a/img855/4288/51tp.jpg

From the few visible leaves and the appearance of the berries, this
might also be cotoneaster.

Today, I saw a toyon (Heteromeles arbutifolia) that looked very much
like your photo. It had the same mass of berries, and the leaves were
slightly toothed. Toyon and cotoneaster are both in the rose family as
is pyracantha, another shrub with masses of red berries.

I think manzanita is in the heather family. One way to distinguish it
is that it has small urn-shaped, white or pink flowers. Toyon,
cotoneaster, and pyracantha have tiny flowers that resemble single roses
(if you get close enough to see them); the only flowers that I have seen
were white but so small that they were almost unnoticed.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

"David E. Ross" wrote in message ...
On 2/3/2014 3:57 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 2/3/2014 10:13 AM, Guv Bob wrote:
Manzanita berries. Just now starting to drop off.
http://imageshack.com/a/img855/4288/51tp.jpg

From the few visible leaves and the appearance of the berries, this
might also be cotoneaster.

Today, I saw a toyon (Heteromeles arbutifolia) that looked very much
like your photo. It had the same mass of berries, and the leaves were
slightly toothed. Toyon and cotoneaster are both in the rose family as
is pyracantha, another shrub with masses of red berries.

I think manzanita is in the heather family. One way to distinguish it
is that it has small urn-shaped, white or pink flowers. Toyon,
cotoneaster, and pyracantha have tiny flowers that resemble single roses
(if you get close enough to see them); the only flowers that I have seen
were white but so small that they were almost unnoticed.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

This one has white urn-shaped flowers.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/10/2014 12:45 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
"David E. Ross" wrote in message ...
On 2/3/2014 3:57 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 2/3/2014 10:13 AM, Guv Bob wrote:
Manzanita berries. Just now starting to drop off.
http://imageshack.com/a/img855/4288/51tp.jpg

From the few visible leaves and the appearance of the berries, this
might also be cotoneaster.

Today, I saw a toyon (Heteromeles arbutifolia) that looked very much
like your photo. It had the same mass of berries, and the leaves were
slightly toothed. Toyon and cotoneaster are both in the rose family as
is pyracantha, another shrub with masses of red berries.

I think manzanita is in the heather family. One way to distinguish it
is that it has small urn-shaped, white or pink flowers. Toyon,
cotoneaster, and pyracantha have tiny flowers that resemble single roses
(if you get close enough to see them); the only flowers that I have seen
were white but so small that they were almost unnoticed.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

This one has white urn-shaped flowers.

Then mazanita it is.

Old 16-02-2014, 07:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David E. Ross" wrote in message ...
On 2/10/2014 12:45 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
"David E. Ross" wrote in message ...
On 2/3/2014 3:57 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 2/3/2014 10:13 AM, Guv Bob wrote:
Manzanita berries. Just now starting to drop off.
http://imageshack.com/a/img855/4288/51tp.jpg

From the few visible leaves and the appearance of the berries, this
[...]

I was afraid at first it was the Franciscan type that was just discovered in San Francisco. All I need is an endangered plant on the property and all the nonsense that goes along with it. LOL!

[IMG] code is On

Ione Manzanita Inyo Plant Science 0 03-02-2004 08:47 PM
Ione Manzanita Inyo Gardening 0 03-02-2004 08:43 PM
Manzanita Driftwood Dan Norgard Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 16-08-2003 07:22 AM
Manzanita Driftwood Dan Norgard Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 15-08-2003 06:03 AM
Manzanita Driftwood Dan Norgard Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 15-08-2003 06:00 AM