Old 22-04-2014, 05:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Fraises du bois...

....aka "Wild Strawberries".

I love these shy little sweeties. Tried them years ago but didn't work out; too sunny? Or?

Gonna go for it again this year, if only out of nostalgia.

This is So. Calif coastal. Would welcome any input from NG members who have grown fraises du boi (outdoors, not in greenhouses).

From the tiny yield of my six existing plants, looks like I would need a whole ****load to get much harvest.

These six little guys may be trying hard to yield "out of season" since everything is so ****ed up due to global warming. (I actually harvested a green pepper from a Costco plant that wintered over!!!)

TIA

HB
Old 22-04-2014, 11:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:

These six little guys may be trying hard to yield "out of season"
since everything is so ****ed up due to global warming. (I actually
harvested a green pepper from a Costco plant that wintered over!!!)

TIA

HB

Apparently capsicum is a perennial and where there are mild winters, such as
the coastal areas of its native area in meso-America, it can be grown as
such. It is only that humans have taken it to temperate zones with cold
winters that we have to grow it as an annual. In future more parts of the
world can look forward to them wintering over.