GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Gardening and climate change (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/211265-gardening-climate-change.html)

David E. Ross[_2_] 14-03-2015 02:07 AM

Gardening and climate change

On 3/13/2015 5:39 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 14/03/2015 2:26 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 3/12/2015 9:50 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 13/03/2015 1:40 AM, I previously wrote wrote:
I toss tortoise droppings into my flower and shrub beds. Cleopatra (an
ancient beauty) leaves pleanty from April to October. Right now, she is
still hibernating.

So what do tortoise droppings look like? And have you ever posted any
pics of Cleo online so I could see her beauty for myself? And how
ancient is this girl?

They look like very dry dog droppings, but Cleo is a vegetarian.

:-)) They probably look like long kangaroo poos which are also very dry
but nugget like in shape.

We
think she is now some 50-60 years old. She was mature when we "adopted"
her in 1977. See my http://www.rossde.com/Cleo.html.

We do not really own Cleopatra; she belongs to the state of California.
We are merely housing her. It is illegal to buy or sell desert
tortoises. While it is illegal to remove them from their native
habitate, it is also illegal to return them since that might spread
disease.

David, thank you so much for posting that link. It is a very
interesting article and I don't recall every hearing anything aobut Nth
American turtles before with the exception of snapping turtles.

Gardening with a shelled vegetarian around must be a rather interesting
exercise.

We have snake necked turtles in our creek but watching them is not an
easy thing to do as they disappear at the first sight of a human.
Luckily our creek is between steep banks so if I sneak up and slowly
slowly shove my had over the sight line I can see them. We often see
them on the roads too and will often stop to pick them up and move them
before some moron runs them over. they do the most amazinlyg stinky pee
so it requires very careful picking up nd putting the turtle in a
directionw here no pee come sin contact with either clothes or skin.

Does your turtle do stinky pees or is the smelly pee of our local
turtles a defence mechanism would you think?

Tortoise urine is very much like bird urine. It is a thick, whitish
paste. Mammal urine is water with uric acid. Bird and reptile urine is
urea. Fish urine is ammonia.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

Hypatia Nachshon 14-03-2015 02:36 AM

Gardening and climate change

On Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 7:40:35 AM UTC-7, David E. Ross wrote:
On 3/9/2015 8:45 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 10/03/2015 2:25 AM, songbird wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
wrong at least 50% of the time. The people here who insist on arguing
climate change are those pinheads who do not garden, not a one of
those shit stirrers has ever shown pictures of their garden... it's
all their fantasy... the closest they come to gardening is shopping
Walmart's produce.

shit stirrers is as good a name as any for a good
gardener. :)

LOL. Ain't that the truth! The best poop I ever scored was elephant
poop when the circus came to a town near me. It is like giant horse poo
and horse poo is one of my favourite poos.

I toss tortoise droppings into my flower and shrub beds. Cleopatra (an
ancient beauty) leaves pleanty from April to October. Right now, she is
still hibernating.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

Did she ever, uh, YOU know...?

HB

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 14-03-2015 06:30 AM

Fran Farmer wrote:

[...]

I wasn't aware there were snake-necked turtles in Oz. The eastern
longnecked turtle emits defensive stinky stuff from glands not in its urine.
We have them here and in spring they go looking for love across pastures and
roads. I rescue them off roads (using a supermarket bag to hold them) or
they become road kill.

--
David

Corporate propaganda is their
protection against democracy

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 14-03-2015 06:31 AM

Brooklyn1 wrote:
[...]

Sing? Dance? Fart?

Fran Farmer 14-03-2015 07:17 AM

Fran Farmer wrote:

[...]

Well I've always called it the snake necked terrapin but when I was
writing about it before, I decided to check its real name using Mr
Google and he tells me it's actually called the snake necked turtle. I
do prefer terrapin though. But we certainly do have them or so says a
number of places which should know:
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~alreadman/esnt.htm
http://australianmuseum.net.au/easte...-necked-turtle
http://australianmuseum.net.au/image...-necked-turtle

The eastern
longnecked turtle emits defensive stinky stuff from glands not in its
urine. We have them here and in spring they go looking for love across
pastures and roads. I rescue them off roads (using a supermarket bag to
hold them) or they become road kill.

For some reason they seem to be on the move now. Seems a bit strange
but my SO rescued one just today when he was out for a pushbike ride.
He didn't get smelled up which is a surprise since he used his hands.

Thanks for the info on the pee - its glands. It sure is disgusting.

Bob F 22-03-2015 08:01 PM

Gardening and climate change

Frank" "frank wrote:
On 3/6/2015 3:45 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
All of us home gardeners are affected, to one degree or another &
will be into the future. (Not to mention major food suppliers, even in
"developed" countries.) The deniers (including powerful committee chairmen in
the US
Congress) are still out there serving their Corporate Masters, but
let us hope that their in$anity will become less influential as
facts develop. An entertaining article about the exposure of Willie Soon,
one of
the most corrupt "scientist" deniers can be found at:
http://www.onearth.org/earthwire/willie-soon-reader

OR

http://www.onearth.org/earthwire

You will need to scroll way down -- past some very useful articles
-- to: "All your Willie Soon schadenfreude in one handy article".

HB

"You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people
some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time." Abraham Lincoln

HB

Sara,
Who do you think funds all the scientists supporting global warming?

Do tell! We're waiting.

Fran Farmer 22-03-2015 11:14 PM

On 23/03/2015 7:01 AM, Bob F wrote:
Frank" "frank wrote:
[...]

I want to know which poster here is called 'Sara'.

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 23-03-2015 02:47 AM

Fran Farmer wrote:
Sara,
Who do you think funds all the scientists supporting global warming?

Do tell! We're waiting.

I want to know which poster here is called 'Sara'.

Since there is no Sara I took it for a generic condescension, used when the
target's views are not important enough to bother with her name, similar to
'girlie' or 'sweety'.

Hypatia Nachshon 24-03-2015 01:16 AM

On Monday, March 9, 2015 at 4:09:52 PM UTC-7, David E. Ross wrote:
On 3/6/2015 12:45 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

[...]

For the views of the scientific community, see "Anthropogenic warming
has increased drought risk in California" in the "Proceedings of the
National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America" at
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2015/02/23/1422385112.abstract.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

Thanks, David, it's useful to post scientific findings like the above. We probably all have intelligent, educated friends who are just not well-informed; perhaps too busy in their lives to inform themselves on this (literally!) life & death issue -- if not for them, then for their grandchildren or great-grandchildren.

Not to mention the enormous pre-scientific world population in undemocratic and totalitarian countries -- human beings who have no possibility to determine their fate.

It is true that in the West there are ideologs who cling to their opinions regardless of scientific concensus. But trying to reason with them is not useful; they NEED their beliefs.

Time is better spent researching and sharing hard scientific data with those who might at least take said data into consideration.

Which leads me to HIGHLY recommending an article in the new Harper's Magazine entitled "Rotten Ice". It's by Gretel Erlich who has lived and traveled with Greenland natives for over 20 years and has written several powerful books on the decline of the native Greenland culture over time as the ice melts.

As a card-carrying Polar freak who has taken multiple adventure trips to the Arctic (including Greenland)and Antarctic, I found Erlich's latest article
terrifying.

That the Arctic manufactures climate for the rest of the world is not news to anyone who has been following events in recent years. That these developments are DIRECTLY connected to the changes we are beginning to experience is something where we need to connect the dots. That no one in power is doing anything about the melting ice -- au contraire, they are obstructing efforts to stabilize if not reverse climate change -- is *really* terrifying.

Just thought I'd pass along one more resource to share with those open to hear.

HB

Drew Lawson[_2_] 24-03-2015 03:35 PM

Gardening and climate change

In article
"Bob F" writes:
Frank" "frank wrote:

Who do you think funds all the scientists supporting global warming?

Do tell! We're waiting.

Clearly you haven't been reading "Frank" long.

When called on his innuendo, he claims complete innocence because
he "didn't claim anything" (or words to that effect).

--
| Stories of tortures used by debauchers
Drew Lawson | lurid, licentious and vile

~misfit~[_4_] 28-03-2015 12:47 AM

Gardening and climate change

Once upon a time on usenet Fran Farmer wrote:
[snip]
I'm sure you would love one of our native worm species :-)):
http://www.treehugger.com/natural-sc...land-worm.html

Are you in Gippsland? My sister lives in that area and my parents aren't too
far away, down at Golden Beach.
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

~misfit~[_4_] 28-03-2015 12:55 AM

Once upon a time on usenet David E. Ross wrote:
On 3/12/2015 9:50 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 13/03/2015 1:40 AM, I previously wrote wrote:
I toss tortoise droppings into my flower and shrub beds. Cleopatra
(an ancient beauty) leaves pleanty from April to October. Right
now, she is still hibernating.

So what do tortoise droppings look like? And have you ever posted
any pics of Cleo online so I could see her beauty for myself? And
how ancient is this girl?

They look like very dry dog droppings, but Cleo is a vegetarian. We
think she is now some 50-60 years old. She was mature when we
"adopted" her in 1977. See my http://www.rossde.com/Cleo.html.

We do not really own Cleopatra; she belongs to the state of
California. We are merely housing her. It is illegal to buy or sell
desert tortoises. While it is illegal to remove them from their
native habitate, it is also illegal to return them since that might
spread disease.

That's awesome David, thanks for sharing. When I was a youngster in England
I had a pet tortoise which used to wander. The garden wasn't tortoise-proof
so whenever I hadn't seen it for a day or two I'd walk around the fields
nearby, it usually wasn't hard to find.

However once I couldn't find it despite looking every day. A year later I
found the mostly empty shell, with a horse hoof-print on the front half. :-(

Fran Farmer 28-03-2015 06:38 AM

Gippsland and NZ was Gardening and climate change

On 28/03/2015 11:47 AM, ~misfit~ wrote:
Once upon a time on usenet Fran Farmer wrote:
[snip]
I'm sure you would love one of our native worm species :-)):
http://www.treehugger.com/natural-sc...land-worm.html

Are you in Gippsland?

NO, the south eastern quadrant of NSW. But I know and enjoy the
Gippsland area as we sometimes travel in and around it.

My sister lives in that area and my parents aren't too
far away, down at Golden Beach.

So are you an expat Aussie in NZ or did your family move over here? Are
you in the nth or the sth island?

~misfit~[_4_] 31-03-2015 03:14 AM

Gippsland and NZ was Gardening and climate change

Once upon a time on usenet Fran Farmer wrote:
On 28/03/2015 11:47 AM, ~misfit~ wrote:
Once upon a time on usenet Fran Farmer wrote:
[snip]
I'm sure you would love one of our native worm species :-)):
http://www.treehugger.com/natural-sc...land-worm.html

Are you in Gippsland?

NO, the south eastern quadrant of NSW. But I know and enjoy the
Gippsland area as we sometimes travel in and around it.

My sister lives in that area and my parents aren't too
far away, down at Golden Beach.

So are you an expat Aussie in NZ or did your family move over here? Are
you in the nth or the sth island?

I'm actually an ex-pat Brit.

My parents bought my younger sister and I to NZ from England in early 1973
when I was 11 y/o. We were "£10 Poms" (something that I was reminded of
often at school), some of the last as it turned out. There was a NZ
government scheme, 'Asssisted Passage', to bring experienced workers into NZ
for its then-burgeoning lamb and wool industry - Australia had a similar
scheme. The NZ government paid all but £10 per person for us to come to NZ
via Chandris Lines, a Greek budget shipping company. Nearly six weeks after
leaving England we arrived in New Zealand.

(It seems that Wiki thinks it was an Australian-only thing;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Pound_Poms )

We originally went to the South island; The scheme required that you have a
job ready and waiting for you and that you stay employed in the NZ framing
industry for a minimum of 2 years. Unfortunately Dad was the victim of a
canny farmer who took advantage of new naive potentail immigrants, getting
them to sign contaracts before leaving the UK and paying minimum wage and
putting them up in a run-down shack when they arrived.

Anyway, after the two years Dad moved us to the North Island, the northern
Waikato area, where he stayed until retirement. My sister got married and
had kids (in that order - just!) and she and her husband moved their family
to Australia where there was more money to be had. After almost a couple of
decades of spending all of their money flying across the Tasman to see their
grandkids twice a year my parents also moved to Aus when Dad retired, mostly
to be closer to the grandkids.

I now live just south if Auckland, a town called Pukekohe.

Cheers,

Fran Farmer 31-03-2015 05:28 AM

On 31/03/2015 1:14 PM, ~misfit~ wrote:
[...]

I didn't know the Kiwis also had a 10 quid deal. Ya learn something new
everyday, but of course it makes sense since both our countries were
crying out for migrants at the time.

We originally went to the South island; The scheme required that you have a
job ready and waiting for you and that you stay employed in the NZ framing
industry for a minimum of 2 years. Unfortunately Dad was the victim of a
canny farmer who took advantage of new naive potentail immigrants, getting
them to sign contaracts before leaving the UK and paying minimum wage and
putting them up in a run-down shack when they arrived.

I hope karma treated him better than he treated your father - htat's a
really rotten act.

Anyway, after the two years Dad moved us to the North Island, the northern
Waikato area, where he stayed until retirement. My sister got married and
had kids (in that order - just!) and she and her husband moved their family
to Australia where there was more money to be had. After almost a couple of
decades of spending all of their money flying across the Tasman to see their
grandkids twice a year my parents also moved to Aus when Dad retired, mostly
to be closer to the grandkids.

I now live just south if Auckland, a town called Pukekohe.

On Highway 1! Yup, know where that is. We are just booking accom in NZ
right now for an upcoming trip there. Would you believe my first time
there with me being in my 60s, a spinner, owning numerous Ashford
spinning wheels and cousin who lives in Levin and all those drop dead
gorgeous NZ gardens which I have read about for more years than I care
to remember. There is no excuse except perhaps you are too close and we
tend to do long haul hops much further afield when we go O. S.