GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Late attack of lupin aphid (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/211973-late-attack-lupin-aphid.html)

Steve Kind 12-08-2015 05:20 PM

Late attack of lupin aphid

Hi - My lupins have flowered well this year - I cut off the dead spikes and got a second flush. More or less finished now, but the remaining foliage and some new growth from the flower spikes are being badly attacked by white lupin aphids - I can't keep up with them by wiping off. It's August now - would it be OK to just cut the foliage right back? - I can see new growth at the base and it will be much easier to keep that aphid-free if all the ragged old stuff wasn't in the way.

Any advice appreciated :)

songbird[_2_] 13-08-2015 12:45 AM

Late attack of lupin aphid

Steve Kind wrote:

Hi - My lupins have flowered well this year - I cut off the dead spikes
and got a second flush. More or less finished now, but the remaining
foliage and some new growth from the flower spikes are being badly
attacked by white lupin aphids - I can't keep up with them by wiping
off. It's August now - would it be OK to just cut the foliage right
back? - I can see new growth at the base and it will be much easier to
keep that aphid-free if all the ragged old stuff wasn't in the way.

Any advice appreciated :)

where are your Lady Bugs?

songbird

Steve Kind 19-08-2015 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by songbird[_2_] (Post 1015738)
Steve Kind wrote:

Hi - My lupins have flowered well this year - I cut off the dead spikes
and got a second flush. More or less finished now, but the remaining
foliage and some new growth from the flower spikes are being badly
attacked by white lupin aphids - I can't keep up with them by wiping
off. It's August now - would it be OK to just cut the foliage right
back? - I can see new growth at the base and it will be much easier to
keep that aphid-free if all the ragged old stuff wasn't in the way.

Any advice appreciated :)

where are your Lady Bugs?

songbird

Oh - plenty of ladybirds in the garden songbird - but they appear not to be ineterested in eating lupin aphids! :(