Old 08-05-2003, 12:20 PM
David J. Bockman

Default I'm addicted to viburnums :)

Join the club buddy! Although not particularly fragrant, one of my favorites
is a smallish, evergreen Viburnum, Viburnum 'Conoy'.

http://www.nobleplants.com/introduct...urnumConoy.htm

Michale Dirr says,

"To my way of gardening, Viburnum 'Conoy' is one of Dr. Don Egolf's greatest
viburnums. Evergreen in Zone 7, less so in Zone 6, it is awash in pink buds
that open to white flowers in April. The 1 1/2- to 2 1/2-inch- long leaves
are glossy dark green. Plant is compact, 5 feet by 8 feet, and requires
almost no pruning. A plant in the Dirr garden is about 5 feet by 7 feet
after 10 years. In flower, it is a mound of pink and white. Great shrub
for the mixed border and groupings. Fruits are red, ripening black,
produced in quantity only if a closely related cultivar is in proximity."

Also see http://www.nobleplants.com/articles/viburnum.htm

Dave

"Dan" wrote in message
Hello,

Went to the local nursery today, saw my first flowering viburnium
bushes ever. I believe the names were buckthorn and I forget the
other name (galax or something...galena?) . The flower scent was
amazing, just as good if not better than a lilac.

The problem is the local nursery does not supply highbush cranberry
varieties. This ticked me off a bit, being in NJ and all, where in
some parts of the state lowbush cranberries are a multi-million dollar
industry. Does anyone know any areas in northern NJ that would stock
highbush cranberries or northern bayberries? Thanks,

Dan

Old 08-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Tracy McDaniel

What are there? Over 100 Viburnum species? Absoultely amazing.
Has anyone mentioned the little shasta? a sweet compact viburnum when
compared to the leatherleaf for example...I, too, love them all.

and don't we love the opinionated Michael Dirr?
I go to bed with him nearly every night...
book form of course.
Regards,
Tracy
Zone 7.

"Dan" wrote in message
Hello,

Went to the local nursery today, saw my first flowering viburnium
bushes ever. I believe the names were buckthorn and I forget the
other name (galax or something...galena?) . The flower scent was
amazing, just as good if not better than a lilac.

The problem is the local nursery does not supply highbush cranberry
varieties. This ticked me off a bit, being in NJ and all, where in
some parts of the state lowbush cranberries are a multi-million dollar
industry. Does anyone know any areas in northern NJ that would stock
highbush cranberries or northern bayberries? Thanks,

Dan

[IMG] code is On

lacy viburnums PK United Kingdom 0 10-06-2004 05:40 PM
lacy viburnums PK United Kingdom 0 10-06-2004 03:01 PM
lacy viburnums PK United Kingdom 0 09-06-2004 07:02 PM
Getting addicted (Newbie) Evelyn Usher United Kingdom 6 30-05-2003 04:11 PM
addicted to planting trees? animaux Gardening 4 08-05-2003 02:44 AM