Old 08-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Bishoop

Default Tomato Seed Preparation

I have a great batch of tomatoes and I'd like to prepare some of the seeds
for planting in the future.

Is there anything I should do other than remove them from the fruit and set
them to dry?

Thanks....

Old 08-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Alice Gamewell

This works if you are saving a few seeds.
Fermenting the tomatoes seeds are actually better because it kills disease and
removes the protective coat over the seeds.

Squeeze a tomato into a container. Let it sit and ferment 2-3 days. Remove
the scum a rinse the seeds. Dry seeds completely.

If you are intrested in saving seeds, there are two good books I recomend.
The first is Seed to Seed by Suzanne Ashworth and the second is Saving Seeds
by Marc Rogers. Both books are around 20 dollars apiece.

Old 09-05-2003, 07:20 PM
JL

If you want an inexpensive and succinct guide to saving seeds try "Growing
Garden Seeds" which is available from
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/index.html for only $1.25 (plus
shipping). It describes the fermenting method that Alice mentioned. I have
used it successfully for years.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/a...it_id=1106&cat
_id=54&parent_id=52&prodname=Growing%20Garden%20Se eds&name=Saving%20Seeds&to
p_name=Accessories&topcatid=4&subcatname=Books&pag e=1

John