GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Birds distroy too many plants in my garden! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/214812-birds-distroy-too-many-plants-my-garden.html)

[email protected] 19-07-2017 08:39 PM

Birds distroy too many plants in my garden!

My problem is Stellar Jays, who have eaten the petals off most of my flowers in my garden and I have also caught them eating some of my succulents as well. I have tried changing plants and flowers but it seems they will eat almost anything. Do sure what to do at this point

David E. Ross[_2_] 20-07-2017 12:17 AM

On 7/19/2017 12:39 PM, wrote:
My problem is Stellar Jays, who have eaten the petals off most of my
flowers in my garden and I have also caught them eating some of my
succulents as well. I have tried changing plants and flowers but it
seems they will eat almost anything. Do sure what to do at this
point

I take unwanted compact discs (CDs), drill a small hole near the edge of
each, and hang them with kite twine from nearby trees. The hole is
about the diameter of a pencil lead. The twine is about 1-1/2 to 2
feet. The CDs move and even twirl in the breeze, flashing sunshine.

This will work only for a short while, after which the birds get too
accustomed to the flashing. So I do it only when bird control is most
important (e.g., as fruit reaches its optimum ripeness).

--
David Ross

http://www.rossde.com/
President Trump now denies there are any tapes that
recorded his conversations with ex-FBI Director Comey.
Between when Trump hinted there might be such tapes
and his denial, there was sufficient time to destroy
any tapes.

songbird[_2_] 20-07-2017 04:58 AM

wrote:
My problem is Stellar Jays, who have eaten the petals off most of my flowers in my garden and I have also caught them eating some of my succulents as well. I have tried changing plants and flowers but it seems they will eat almost anything. Do sure what to do at this point

try putting out birdbaths, rinse them out once
a day and refill, or at least every other day.
perhaps what they are after is the moisture in
the leaves/flowers.

never hurts to try.

songbird

Jeff Layman[_2_] 20-07-2017 08:44 AM

On 19/07/17 20:39, wrote:
My problem is Stellar Jays, who have eaten the petals off most of my
flowers in my garden and I have also caught them eating some of my
succulents as well. I have tried changing plants and flowers but it
seems they will eat almost anything. Do sure what to do at this
point

Sometimes full-sized models of birds of prey carefully placed can keep
some birds away, particularly if you change their position from time to
time.

Also, if you are pestered by one species of bird, intermittently playing
a recording of its alarm call (maybe combined with a model of a raptor)
can often disturb them enough to make them seek easier pickings elsewhere.

--

Jeff

[email protected] 20-07-2017 12:41 PM

songbird wrote:
davidanddonnie wrote:

My problem is Stellar Jays, who have eaten the petals off most of my flowers in my garden and I have also caught them eating some of my succulents as well. I have tried changing plants and flowers but it seems they will eat almost anything. Do sure what to do at this point

try putting out birdbaths, rinse them out once
a day and refill, or at least every other day.
perhaps what they are after is the moisture in
the leaves/flowers.

never hurts to try.

In dry weather placing birdbaths among flowers is a good idea, also a
birdfeeder would help... jays love cat food kibbles, especially Purina
kitten chow... very reasonably priced in the larger size bag from
Chewy.com.
This makes the best bird bath:
https://www.amazon.com/Saucer-Heavy-...31B2WYG1DGRDT9

Frank 20-07-2017 01:52 PM

Birds distroy too many plants in my garden!

On 7/20/2017 3:44 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:
Stellar Jay

Glancing at the species, I see they eat everything and I would not put
out water which might make yard more attractive. If just a few birds,
I'd be popping with my pellet gun or other methods to chase them off.

[email protected] 20-07-2017 06:17 PM

On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 08:52:17 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 7/20/2017 3:44 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:
Stellar Jay

Glancing at the species, I see they eat everything and I would not put
out water which might make yard more attractive. If just a few birds,
I'd be popping with my pellet gun or other methods to chase them off.

Frank is a dangerous dude who needs popping with 16 ga. bird shot.

Frank 20-07-2017 06:22 PM

On 7/20/2017 1:17 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 08:52:17 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 7/20/2017 3:44 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:
Stellar Jay

Glancing at the species, I see they eat everything and I would not put
out water which might make yard more attractive. If just a few birds,
I'd be popping with my pellet gun or other methods to chase them off.

Frank is a dangerous dude who needs popping with 16 ga. bird shot.

Anybody critter stomping in my garden may be subject to lethal force.

J. Clarke[_2_] 24-07-2017 04:30 AM

Birds distroy too many plants in my garden!

In article , "frank says...

On 7/20/2017 1:17 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 08:52:17 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 7/20/2017 3:44 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:
Stellar Jay

Glancing at the species, I see they eat everything and I would not put
out water which might make yard more attractive. If just a few birds,
I'd be popping with my pellet gun or other methods to chase them off.

Frank is a dangerous dude who needs popping with 16 ga. bird shot.

Anybody critter stomping in my garden may be subject to lethal force.

Bird problem? The obvious solution is a hungry cat.

David E. Ross[_2_] 24-07-2017 06:32 AM

On 7/23/2017 8:30 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

Bird problem? The obvious solution is a hungry cat.

Some birds will actually attack a cat. That includes ravens,
mockingbirds, and hummingbirds. Do not forget that a goose is a bird; a
goose might kill a cat.

J. Clarke[_2_] 25-07-2017 04:34 AM

Birds distroy too many plants in my garden!

In article , lid says...

On 7/23/2017 8:30 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

Bird problem? The obvious solution is a hungry cat.

Some birds will actually attack a cat. That includes ravens,
mockingbirds, and hummingbirds. Do not forget that a goose is a bird; a
goose might kill a cat.

So when, in this thread, were ravens, mockingbirds, hummingbirds, or geese
mentioned?

David E. Ross[_2_] 25-07-2017 06:04 AM

Birds distroy too many plants in my garden!

On 7/24/2017 8:34 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article , lid says...

On 7/23/2017 8:30 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

Bird problem? The obvious solution is a hungry cat.

Some birds will actually attack a cat. That includes ravens,
mockingbirds, and hummingbirds. Do not forget that a goose is a bird; a
goose might kill a cat.

So when, in this thread, were ravens, mockingbirds, hummingbirds, or geese
mentioned?

The topic of this thread is how birds destroy a garden and how to
prevent that. Ravens and mockingbirds can be very destructive to a
garden. At the minmum, they will steal fruit.

David E. Ross[_2_] 25-07-2017 06:05 AM

On 7/24/2017 10:04 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 7/24/2017 8:34 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article , lid says...

On 7/23/2017 8:30 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

Bird problem? The obvious solution is a hungry cat.

Some birds will actually attack a cat. That includes ravens,
mockingbirds, and hummingbirds. Do not forget that a goose is a bird; a
goose might kill a cat.

So when, in this thread, were ravens, mockingbirds, hummingbirds, or geese
mentioned?

The topic of this thread is how birds destroy a garden and how to
prevent that. Ravens and mockingbirds can be very destructive to a
garden. At the minmum, they will steal fruit.

I forgot. In a larger garden, geese can also be very destructive.

[email protected] 25-07-2017 03:04 PM

J. Clarke wrote:
albasani wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:

Bird problem? The obvious solution is a hungry cat.

Some birds will actually attack a cat. That includes ravens,
mockingbirds, and hummingbirds. Do not forget that a goose is a bird; a
goose might kill a cat.

So when, in this thread, were ravens, mockingbirds, hummingbirds, or geese
mentioned?

They're all BIRDS, Dodo... are your misplaced commas bird droppings or
are you a stuttering dodo?

Sheldon Katz 25-07-2017 05:23 PM

Birds distroy too many plants in my garden!

On 7/25/2017 10:04 AM, wrote:
are you a stuttering dodo?

Are you a hymie dildo, AOL-TARD? LOL