GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help creating a one acre formal garden. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/217766-help-creating-one-acre-formal-garden.html)

Scaife 05-11-2021 10:58 AM

Help creating a one acre formal garden.

My questions are numerous my experience limited. I love gardening and have set out to create a one acre formal garden with fountains, walls, hedges, and lots of flowers. I want it to be a place people want to visit time and time again. I want people to want to have their weddings there.
I know big dreams! I’m giving myself a 10 yr time frame.

I live in NJ (US) zone 7b. The property is 250 ft wide 400 ft deep. Sun rises front right corner sets back left. House in front open area in back is about 300 deep 250 ft wide. Grass paths at first with lots of formal rooms, yew hedged. I would like a waterway down the center path to a fountain. (Picture to follow as soon as I learn to post them).

Question #1
I have been reading a lot about yew propagation. I chose yew because I’m concerned about boxwood blight.
Is it possible to propagate directly in the ground?
My idea would be to box out all the hedge patterns remove the sod amend the soil then place a two inch layer of coarse sand over the top. The cutting would be stuck in the sand and hopefully as they root will work into the soil.

Anyone had experience with this or is it just not possible? Thanks for the input.

Scaife 05-11-2021 11:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Something like this up the center pathway.

Scaife 05-11-2021 11:26 AM

This is the area I want to transform. Not the best pic as we were removing a bunch of cedar trees to open the area more. This is a lot of space so suggestions for layout are welcome.

Scaife 05-11-2021 11:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry this is the pic I was trying to upload of the property I’m working with.

gardener2001 24-04-2024 11:52 PM

Why not send your question in to bbc garden mania? and listen via BBC Sounds

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0f...casts/upcoming