Old 05-11-2021, 10:58 AM
Registered User

Default Help creating a one acre formal garden.

My questions are numerous my experience limited. I love gardening and have set out to create a one acre formal garden with fountains, walls, hedges, and lots of flowers. I want it to be a place people want to visit time and time again. I want people to want to have their weddings there.
I know big dreams! I’m giving myself a 10 yr time frame.

I live in NJ (US) zone 7b. The property is 250 ft wide 400 ft deep. Sun rises front right corner sets back left. House in front open area in back is about 300 deep 250 ft wide. Grass paths at first with lots of formal rooms, yew hedged. I would like a waterway down the center path to a fountain. (Picture to follow as soon as I learn to post them).

Question #1
I have been reading a lot about yew propagation. I chose yew because I’m concerned about boxwood blight.
Is it possible to propagate directly in the ground?
My idea would be to box out all the hedge patterns remove the sod amend the soil then place a two inch layer of coarse sand over the top. The cutting would be stuck in the sand and hopefully as they root will work into the soil.

Anyone had experience with this or is it just not possible? Thanks for the input.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:09 AM
Registered User

Something like this up the center pathway.
Attached Thumbnails
Help creating a one acre formal garden.-ca9da659-e72d-476e-85eb-6c139c7c3037.jpeg
Old 05-11-2021, 11:26 AM
Registered User

This is the area I want to transform. Not the best pic as we were removing a bunch of cedar trees to open the area more. This is a lot of space so suggestions for layout are welcome.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:33 AM
Registered User

Sorry this is the pic I was trying to upload of the property I’m working with.
Attached Thumbnails
Help creating a one acre formal garden.-81f5f4e0-100e-4a41-b808-0bba448fb09f.jpeg
Old 24-04-2024, 11:52 PM
Registered User

Why not send your question in to bbc garden mania? and listen via BBC Sounds

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0f...casts/upcoming

[IMG] code is On

Formal Pond Ideas Shannon Moyes Clark Ponds 3 22-05-2003 03:08 PM
Formal Pond Shannon Moyes Clark Ponds 0 19-05-2003 06:44 PM
above ground height for formal pond Dennis Ponds 2 01-05-2003 02:32 AM
Formal larch John Kingscott Bonsai 0 28-04-2003 08:44 AM
anyone have layouts of formal garden plans? Kellie J. Berger Roses 3 18-03-2003 04:08 PM