Old 12-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Plato

Default when to plant

we're getting conflicting responses from two landscapers that we are
talking with about redoing the front of our house. We live in
northern virginia.

"A" says that they don't plant in July-August due to the heat (90's,
high humidity in this area)

"B" says they plant all summer long, if we plant in July-August we
just need to water more often.

Who should we believe?

-----
"Enlighten Your Mind - So Says Plato"
http://ibeplato.blogspot.com
Old 12-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Marcy Hege

I'd believe the one who says not to plant in July/August. Let's see... it's 90,
hot, plants get stressed, workers do a minimal job since it's hard to breathe,
no rain for three weeks, water restrictions....oh well, you can just put in
more plants to replace all those brown leaves and stalks.

Old 12-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Cereoid-UR12

Screw 'em. Do it now!

You are paying them to do the job so they should do it at your convenience
not theirs.
The lazy *******s.

Old 12-05-2003, 08:56 PM
jammer

On Mon, 12 May 2003 13:08:44 -0400, Plato wrote:

we're getting conflicting responses from two landscapers that we are
talking with about redoing the front of our house. We live in
northern virginia.

"A" says that they don't plant in July-August due to the heat (90's,
high humidity in this area)

"B" says they plant all summer long, if we plant in July-August we
just need to water more often.

Who should we believe?

I would believe A, and if you want the plants now, check with B and
their plant guarentee policy.
Old 13-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Suja

Plato wrote:

we're getting conflicting responses from two landscapers that we are
talking with about redoing the front of our house. We live in
northern virginia.

"A" says that they don't plant in July-August due to the heat (90's,
high humidity in this area)

"B" says they plant all summer long, if we plant in July-August we
just need to water more often.

Who should we believe?

Theoretically speaking, B is correct. As long as you keep your plants
well watered, you should be able to plant them. However, just because
you can doesn't mean you should. It is considerably more stressful on
the plants if they go in the ground when the environment is "hostile",
and they may take longer to get established. It is more work for you,
and the probability that something will go wrong is much higher.
Landscaper B most definitely needs to have a pretty solid plant
guarantee if they are going to plant during the hotter months.

I live in NoVA as well, and generally, I do a vast majority of my
planting in Spring (starting Mid-April), reserving the Fall for putting
in bulbs. If you choose to wait till fall, it will give you the
opportunity to do a little more research on what you want to see in your
garden.

Suja