Old 02-03-2003, 02:03 PM
Phisherman

Default making peony supports

Can anyone help me find a web site or instructions on making peony
supports? I am handy with wood, but I need dimensions. I have no
idea what these look like, and no local garden centers have them.
Thanks!
Old 02-03-2003, 02:27 PM
Pam

Phisherman wrote:

Can anyone help me find a web site or instructions on making peony
supports? I am handy with wood, but I need dimensions. I have no
idea what these look like, and no local garden centers have them.
Thanks!

Can't help you with a site or instructions, but peony supports are
pretty commonly available at garden centers here, although not
specifically marketed as such. They tend to be more generically referred
to as 'plant supports' and typically consist of a plastic coated wire
ring divided into a grid. These are suppported by leg attachments. You
place them over the plant as it begins to develop foliage and growth in
the spring and the stems grow up through and are supported by the grid.
They work great on any number of taller, floppy growth perennials and
because they are almost always colored a deep green, they tend to
disappear into the foliage and become invisible. Not sure exactly how
they could be constructed of wood, but I'm sure some clever person could
come up with a plan!

Here is a rather poor representation - the rings appear much more
obvious than they do once properly established, but their method of
operation is clear.
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...urrency=2&SID=

(Watch out - long URL)

Old 02-03-2003, 03:03 PM
Shadow

Can anyone help me find a web site or instructions on making peony
supports?

What about using tomato cages?

--
Shadow
Made In Canada, eh.

Old 02-03-2003, 03:51 PM
Will Renkel

"Shadow" writes:

Can anyone help me find a web site or instructions on making peony
supports?

What about using tomato cages?

--
Shadow
Made In Canada, eh.

I solved this problem with 1/2 inch pvc pipe and rope.
I cut pvc pipe into 4 foot lengths
Then I drilled holes all the way through near one end of the pipe.
Now string rope through pipes, using sufficient length and number of pipes
to surround one stand of flowers.
Now just locate the pipes around a stand and pound into ground.

Has worked great for me for several years with same pipes and rope.

Will Renkel
Wheaton, Ill.

GO - AMERICA - GO!!!!

Old 03-03-2003, 02:27 AM
Phisherman

On Sun, 02 Mar 2003 14:21:33 GMT, Pam wrote:

Phisherman wrote:

[...]

Thanks Pam! I went to Lowes today and they had some that seemed a bit
flimsy. The ones specifically for peonies were simply a 16" hoop with
three 20" wire legs. They also had a more sensible type with a grid
simply called a plant support. I have a group of three peonies, so I
will make a grid supported by stakes. I have a LOT of pallet wood, a
table saw, a bottle of waterproof carpenters glue, and some green
paint that I'll put to good use tomorrow. Last year my peonies were
in their second year, got rather large, and flopped over so this year
that won't happen.

Old 04-03-2003, 12:15 PM
Karen Fletcher

Will Renkel wrote:
: "Shadow" writes:
:
: Can anyone help me find a web site or instructions on making peony
: supports?

I save all the twiggy trimmings off my butterfly bushes and just stick
them in the ground when the peonies are emerging. The peonies grow up
into them and look quite natural. I've yet to have one flop even in heavy
rains and high winds. Cuttings from any twiggy shrub should work.

- Karen, confirmed low-tech gardener

The Garden Gate http://garden-gate.prairienet.org
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
^and cats -- Cicero
On the Web since 1994 Forbes Best of Web 2002