Old 14-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Requester

Default and now for a totally stupid question...

if i want to kill some grass. can i put dirt and mulch on top of it?
will this kill it off in a few days or will the grass grow through it?
thanks
Old 14-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Dwight Sipler

Requester wrote:

if i want to kill some grass. can i put dirt and mulch on top of it?
will this kill it off in a few days or will the grass grow through it?
thanks

Dirt will kill grass if it's applied thick enough, but it has to be
about a foot thick. Otherwise some of the grass will find its way
through.

The woven polypropylene ground covers are fairly effective at killing
grass, but it takes a year or more. Note that if you walk on the area
during this period you will contribute to soil compaction. Plant roots
tend to loosen up the soil.

Clear plastic will kill grass a little quicker by (1) denying the grass
water and (2) raising the temperature during sunny days. Again, it takes
a while, and this approach may also drive soil life out of the area.

The best way without using herbicides is probably to remove the sod
(along with the roots) and either stack it somewhere to compost or use
it on other areas that need it. Then plant your garden and prepare to
keep weeding, since you won't have gotten all the grass.
Old 14-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Tater

If you put dirt or mulch on top of the grass it will grow up through it in a
few days. You can put weed killer on the unwanted grass and it will get rid
of it, the only thing is you will have to wait a week before planting
anything there.

om...

Old 14-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Suja

Requester wrote:

if i want to kill some grass. can i put dirt and mulch on top of it?
will this kill it off in a few days or will the grass grow through it?
thanks

I usually put down a 5 or 6 sheet layer of newspaper down, then put
mulch on top of it (5-6 inches) and pull by hand anything that manages
to get through. Has worked extremely well for me so far. The down side
is that you have to wait a while for the method to work. Generally, I
get this done over summer, and it is ready to plant by next spring.

Suja

Old 14-05-2003, 11:20 PM
paghat

In article , Suja wrote:

Requester wrote:

if i want to kill some grass. can i put dirt and mulch on top of it?
will this kill it off in a few days or will the grass grow through it?
thanks

I usually put down a 5 or 6 sheet layer of newspaper down, then put
mulch on top of it (5-6 inches) and pull by hand anything that manages
to get through. Has worked extremely well for me so far. The down side
is that you have to wait a while for the method to work. Generally, I
get this done over summer, and it is ready to plant by next spring.

Suja

I put down cardboard or a dozen layers of newspaper & cover it with a much
smaller amount of sterile compost, so it looks like a rich black loamy
patch of soil. It does the grass in extremely well.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"